Handle types pros cons?

Forgedog

I may have asked this before but cant find anything.

These two handle types I can never decide between... Pros and cons.
The concave type seems unnatural BUT is still fairly comfortable.
The convex style fits the hand better but seems less popular for some reason.

Im really wondering the pros and cons? Like... WHY the popularity of the convex type, is there a benefit? image.jpeg

I have made them both ways and like them both. I know one con to your top handle is not everyones fingers and hands are the same size so the front notch for you index finger can fit some good and some might not feel as comfortable. The bottom handle in my opinion is more universal and another plus to it is if you flip the knife over with blade facing up to lets say cut rope the bottom handle fits into your palm better where as the top one might dig into your palm....if that makes sense.

The knife and the use of the knife should dictate the handle, size, shape, and material! One thing I have consistently heard mentioned by the judges on FIF was the handle, was too slick, too short, or too large and occasionally too small, too round! The one thing you have to remember with FIF they are testing those blades doing things most people would never do. Stabbing a car hood, slashing bamboo, batoning a nail. In those cases on FIF the handle has to be "just right"!

You know what just right means!! Let me explain it this way.

An ole skin flint of a boss gives his employee a less than stellar bottle of whiskey at Christmas as a bonus! So in an effort to play on his act of kindness that was pretty much a hollow gesture. He sees the employee on the street and, in front of the employees buddies he has to ask!! How was that bottle of whiskey I gave you for Christmas!

The employee was slightly caught off guard but came back with a really good reply!

He says, to his boss, why it was just right! The boss can't resist, he has to ask "just right"??

Yes "just right", If it had been any worse I couldn't have drunk it! And if had been any better you would have kept it for yourself!!!

It is pretty much the same with a knife handle! :p

I may have asked this before but cant find anything.

These two handle types I can never decide between... Pros and cons.
The concave type seems unnatural BUT is still fairly comfortable.
The convex style fits the hand better but seems less popular for some reason.

Im really wondering the pros and cons? Like... WHY the popularity of the convex type, is there a benefit? View attachment 68177
I always caution against the top type except as noted where direct cutting is involved and on the lower example the overly emphasised front and rear hooks can be a drawback when using the knife in the blade up position.
I use this example of knife I made some years back to show a user friendly handle and how it is also very comfortable in blade up use as you can see that the thimb rests easily into the forward curve for grip and directability while the rear curve follows the palm for long use comfort and a sure grip with NO HOTSPOTS> Neither of the two you have shown would be a comfortable handle with the extremes drawn in
001 (4).JPGPhoto2291.jpg

Back