Handle thickness?

Mark Barone

Are there standard handle thickness based on knife length. I know it has a lot do do with comfort and hand size, but if a maker is selling them to random people an average/ standard size seems to make sense. Say for example an 8 inch hunting knife . What do some of you do?

I use 3/8 also especially if it is going to be a tapered tang. 1/4 if small knives so they are not too handle heavy.

Ok thanks, and what do you use to start to round over the corners. I have been using a dremel with a sanding drum, then long skinny strips of sand paper and "shoe shined" them. I don't think that's a term but that's what it reminds me of.

you can rough them on your belt grinder...bearing in mind that you can't add wood later...lol. Your method works well also. If you have a belt grinder try about 80 grit and as slack as you can without the belt jumping off...

I just use a belt sander and then "shoe shine" :) them, interested what other people do though.

Edited to say: Ted posted as I did, he explained it all.

Last edited:
Sometimes I'll rough it out with a rasp then finish shaping on the belt grinder. Handles are one area I don't mind hand sanding.

I almost always do palm swells and contours, so I begin on the 10 inch wheel at 60 grit and go to 220. Then I slack belt to blend everything in and finally hand sand.

I use the 10 inch contact wheel, flat platen, and small wheel on just about every knife handle.

Last edited:
I like 3/8" for deep contour handles on big knives, 1/4" for hunters and 1/8" for bird n trout small neck knives. This is scale thickness for full tang handles. I will try and post some pics.

Great advice above on scale thickness. I would, however, recommend hand tools over power tools to shape a handle. I use cabinet makers rasps and bastard cut files and then go to sandpaper.

Doug

Not really related to handle thickness but I'll throw this out there for anyone that doesn't already know about them.

I use 1x72 scalloped belts for handle shaping. They're fantastic for curves and radiuses.

312S.jpg

Over all handle thickness varies by knife application of course.
A kitchen knife handle of 1" thick overall is really nice.
A big bad bowie with sculpted handles is around 1.5" thick and some will say they make them thicker than that.
Most handle thickness wants to be in the 1&1/4" to 1&3/8" range.
When you get above 1.5", you start loosing people that can hold it comfortably.

This is a couple of short videos I did some time back Old grinder and other gear) on handle shaping and finishing

Great stuff! I like the idea of laying out the handle profile from the spine side with a template. Do you find the pin material creates any issues with using a rasp?

This thread has got me researching cabinet makers rasps. More tools...always more tools...:)

Great stuff! I like the idea of laying out the handle profile from the spine side with a template. Do you find the pin material creates any issues with using a rasp?

This thread has got me researching cabinet makers rasps. More tools...always more tools...:)

There is no issue with the pin material but the rasp does leave scratches that require some sanding so I often will go over the handle with a fine cut file before I start the sanding and this makes a difference to how much time/effort is needed to get a smooth surface where the 180 grit sandpaper cuts nicely.

Back