Handle epoxy question

Jbh blades

I've been trying new techniques in applying epoxy so that when I clamp the handle scales to the blade it does not squish out forward into the finished blade area. The last two knives I made I did a pretty good job of it but yesterday I did one in the same manner, except I added liners (more epoxy) and squish. After I pulled the clamps I spent the next hour picking epoxy off with an x-acto.
The knife came out fine but I wondered what pointers you guys have to avoid this?

Attachments

• 11-13-2014 009.jpg
    11-13-2014 009.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 40
I use a rag and wd-40 to clean it up as it squished out. I'll watch it for about 5 minutes and then come back every 15 or so minutes. After an hourish I don't really get any more.

When the epoxy is still wet, I wipe it off with an acetone soaked q-tip. Not dripping - just wet. Check it every 15-30 minutes for an hour or two.

DeMo

What I do is to finish out the front of the scales, and pin them in place (like a dry fit/test run). While the scales are in place a use a Q-tip and put vasaline on the entire blade, and the front of the finished scales. Then glue everything up and it doesn't matter if the glue "squishes" out the front.....because once it sets, it will either wipe or "pop" right off. I've made several "picks" of 1/16" through 1/8" brass pin stock (brass won't scratch the steel), and if I have a stubborn glue spot, just pop it off with one of those picks.

Also, I find it easier to glue the liner to the scales before fitting. I cut the liner slightly oversize, glue it up, let the epoxy set up, trim the liners even with the scales, & then you can work them as one piece of material. Its an extra step but I find it much easier that way.

Well they pretty well covered everything lol, I use the Q-tip method with Acetone. I also try to glue the liners first to the scales so I have less stuff to deal with, I use 5 min epoxy so I have to move fast. I might have to try the vaseline trick though :D

I Love this place! Thanks for the tips fellas, Lots of good ideas freely shared! Great idea with the liners!
Have a great day ya'll!

Back