Handle Clamp

Matt Gleash

I'm pretty sure you've all seen this in one fashion or another, but here's a handle clamp that I've made for making stacked leather or other multi-part handles.

It's just some 3/16 inch mild steel I had laying around. I bought the 1/2 inch threaded rod and the washers and nuts at the hardware store last week. My dad, a machinist, was kind enough to mill a 3/8 inch slot between the holes for me. I may have to re-do the flat portions, since the rod holes are slightly off. Not sure if that would greatly affect the outcome, once everything is tightened.
I probably should have let him handle the drilling as well as the milling, as I'm sure everything would have aligned about perfectly. Unfortunately, I don't have those kinds of skills! :eek: We live and learn! -Matt-

knifepics019.jpg

knifepics018.jpg

Looks good! I would suggest lining one of the slots with leather, especially the ends of the slot. That way, you don't have to worry about marring your blade against the steel. I just used wood to get around that. Here's my 5-minutes-to-throw-together (literally) handle clamp that I made after seeing one similar that Bruce Bump uses:

IMG_0626.jpg

With these types of clamps, alignment really isn't that big of a deal as the knife can be positioned however you need it to be. All the clamp needs to do is provide enough pressure to secure the handle in place while the epoxy sets up.

--nathan

Last edited:
Here's another one I picked up from Bruce:

IMG_0624.jpg

I took a short but stout spring, and use it to apply pressure to guards while they are setting up with JB Weld or before soldering (I've still gotta learn that one). I place a file guide on my vise, put the spring on top of that, and press the tang down through both of them. Once I get it where I want it, I tighten the vise, and then secure the file guide. Then I can take the blade wherever I need to with the file guide holding the spring in place. (For instance, on a cold night, I take the blades I'm working on home if I'm waiting for epoxy or JB weld to set up).

--nathan

Nice job gent's, I'm going to use a vise grip welding clamp to modify and use for this purpose. Will post a pic or two when ready.

If there were a head-slap smiley, I'd be using it! I probably should have used wood, but now that I look at yours, I may have to build a larger one some day for larger knives. I don't think there'e enough room in this one for a larger knife like the one you have pictured. Thanks for the tip about the leather. I'll certainly be doing that!
Bruce's valve spring thingy looks to be quite useful, I'll have to track one down. Thanks for posting that again! -Matt-

That is a really neat idea with the spring. I have been thinking of giving a hidden tang a try and was worried about getting everything together tight;y and this would make it a breeze.

Thanks!

Dang, I need to try one or both of those ideas. So far I've been using my bench vise and a boat-load of rubber bands :eek:

Back