hand sanding??? whats the big deal?

Mirror finish hollow grind

The really nice mirror finishes that I have achieved involve much hand rubbing and then buffing. I do only hollow grinds (that's how I was taught in 2007) although I am trying some flat grinds lately.

My question---- Has anyone seen or made some kind of "sanding
block" that would have the right radius to fit the contour of different width hollow grinds. I have always just used my fingers after different high grits on Bader but "There has to be a more efficient way (such as a wood block etc.like what many use for the flat areas . Need help before my fingers freeze up permanently

SRT -

I've seen some Todd Begg radius blocks at Alpha Knife Supply. I also have made my own out of wood, scribing a line against some 3/4" stock with it held against my contact wheel to approximate the radius. Currently however, to finish my hollows I use a worn 5 micron belt with white compound applied to it, and I find that with medium speed and pressure I'm able to get a finish that will buff entirely clean with a soft wheel and pink compound. My flats are still hand-sanded from 320 to 2000 grit, which is a change from my previous method of taking things to 16 micron on the flat planten then hand finishing from there - I find that I invariably introduce checks and rows into the finish trying to machine polish that highly and I'm better off to go straight from the surface grinder at 400 grit, back up to 320 hand finishing in an alternate direction, then follow with 600, 1200, and 2000 grit paper with a narrow Dymondwood sanding stick and some WD40.

SRT,
What Frank said. Make your own sanding paddles for flats and hollows or con vexed. You can do it if you really want to get a fine mirror polish.

I have seen and used a few "Made" sanding blocks etc to fit different radius grinds. I personally like a satin finish but if you really want a mirror. You did the rest of it so you can get it to the finish you want. There really isn't any magic machine or store bought tool to do it.

Back