Han Dynasty Jian. Pattern welded. Fittings by Charles Wu.

kevin - the professor

Hello Everyone,
I am placing this sword for sale. It is a duan jian, which means short, double-edged sword. It is in the style of the Han Dynasty, and made after some of the swords show in Iron and Steel Swords of China.

The blade is 1.25" wide, 21.5" long.
The tang extends almost to the end of the handle.
The handle is just under 12" long.
It is just over .25" thick at the ridge at the forte, and there is significant distal taper for the first 4 or 5 inches. Then, the taper becomes gradual until the last 3". The final 3-4" of the blade. At this point, the blade is .13" thick at the medial ridge. There is almost no taper until the point from there.

The fittings are beautifully-carved copper created by Charles Wu. He is probably the best person working in the traditional Chinese style that speaks enough English to deal directly with us in the US. He is also a kind, decent, and honorable young man. At least, he has been in all of my dealing with him over the years.

The sheath is curly walnut, with an aqua fortis and tung oil finish. The scabbard slide is epoxied and bound with leather (and the leather is bedded in epoxy, also). All other fittings are both epoxied and pinned.

For those who are interested, I have a very detailed wip thread on another forum. I don't want to cross-link, so PM me if you want to see precisely how this was made.

I will have more information about balance and weight when I get the sword back from Jim Cooper. I forgot to weigh the final thing. I will say that the long handle provides a serious counterbalance, especially with the long/thick/heavy tang. I made this thing to withstand abuse (to a certain degree).

The balance is just at or barely ahead of the guard. You can change how the sword feels, from light and fast, to chopper-like, depending upon where you hold the handle.

$1800 plus shipping. First come, first served!

Thanks for looking,

kc

untitled%202.png

Back