Grinding a machined looking swedge in ten minutes.

Fred Rowe

Grinding swedges can be a frustrating affair. Getting both sides even can be a challenge.
The pic shows a swedge that took ten minutes to grind. Both sides are exactly the same.

This swedge is ground with a compound angle of 54 degrees. If you look at the top of the grind you can see the wire edge developed by the grind.

These grinds are easy to do using a Bubble Jig.

This is ground into a section of 1/4inch mild steel plate.

There were no lay out lines used on the edge or the flat, just counted the passes on the belt.

This is at 120 grit.

We should have the full video of how to do this grind ready by the middle of next week.
It will be posted here on Knifedogs and on the BubbleJig.com website.

Happy grinding, Fred

pasted.jpg

I have been tinkering with different ways to do this grind.
Cant wait to see your technique.:cool:

Hey Fred,

The BubbleJig.com website appears to be having a problem. :(

We are working on whatever the glitch is on the Bubble Jig site. Some people have no problems at all and others can't get access.

Would you tell me what happened when you tried to access the site?

It might help us figure out what is happening.

Thanks Fred

Fred,

The web page wouldn't open and a file download window popped up asking if I wanted to save the bubble jig file. It may be a direct link from the video is being accessed on the opening of the web page, but I'm no real techy:confused:;)

p.s.The file it wanted to download is in a format unknown to Windows, QT, and Real players.

If someone can pinpoint the file type... might be able to help. Maybe this web design degree will be of some use after all, lol. Or if someone could shoot me the file to frosstyx_at_gmail.com I can see if I can figure it out...

Last edited:
If someone can pinpoint the file type... might be able to help. Maybe this web design degree will be of some use after all, lol. Or if someone could shoot me the file to frosstyx_at_gmail.com I can see if I can figure it out...
Evening!

The prompt that comes up ask if you want to save this file?

Name bubblejig

Type Unknown file type, 6.75 KB

From www.bubblejig.com

My son [a serious techy] tells me there is no file by that heading [bubblejig]

He built the bubblejig.com site. Only some computers have the problem others, the site loads instantly and you can operate the pay it now option.
Many have ordered through the site with no problems. Then I will get e-mail that says they can't access the site.
What do you think might be going on?

Any direction would be appreciated, Fred

I think I have found the root to the problem. It will ONLY pose a problem to those using Internet Explorer(IE has a problem with displaying certain types of code, mainly javascript and CSS style sheets AND your problem XHTML files correctly) I usually use mozilla and I have no problem accessing your site with it, but when I use IE I get the download prompt, which I downloaded. The file it prompts you to download is in fact the main index.xhtml file or home page of your site, IE is being directed to download a file named bubblejig_com, because its an unsupported file type(XHTML). Just to prove my theory, I added .html to the end of the downloaded file and then opened it and your site came up without the CSS styling which means...

OK now that I have packed your head full of useless facts, I will tell you how to fix it, currently the index file is has a file extension of .xhtml, as in index.xhtml , rename this file simply to index.html and all of your problems will wash away, I can do it for you if you give me access to the server to do it... its up to you, you can call me at the number I PMed you with , I will be happy to help you. You can just mail me a bubble jig, I wont hold it against you :p, all joking aside I will help in any way I can, this stuff can get frustrating . Microsoft has refused to make Internet Explorer (atleast the newer versions) XHTML compatible, but your site should work fine with the html extension, again I can check it out and make sure if you want, The name is Fred, Call me if you need me.

EDIT: I have recreated the file making sure it is a true html file with no xhtml script in it, and it works fine I believe, I cant know for sure without seeing it uploaded server-side, Im about 99.9% sure it will though, hit me with an email address and I can send you a zipped file of it, or I can upload it for you, again anything I can do to help.

Last edited:
Looks like it is fixed...

After looking over some things, IE , no matter the version doesnt support the xhtml file type. The reason IE is trying to download the file named bubblejig_com is because the root address is read as just that and IE is simply downloading that root file just like you would click on a download link that IE wont open within itself, so it looks to you for an outside source, Microsoft killed my inner child...

A good note for anyone, if you are building your site using a template based service chances are if its an updated service its going to create the xhtml file instead of just html, so just remember to change the file extension, it can be done easily by opening the file with notepad and saving the file as filename.html, there should be no reason why it wont work...

Last edited:
You might want to include pictures of what's included in the "system" versus just the jig. Not everyone has access to YouTube.

You might want to include pictures of what's included in the "system" versus just the jig. Not everyone has access to YouTube.

A very good point and pics of what is included in each package will be added to the advertising we do and the website itself.

Thanks for your input, Fred

Now that that other stuff is in order, This does look like it will be handy for us noobs, I just got back from the shop and using my just finished nwg I can see how this system would be awesome. Im gonna try to get myself one when I can muster up the cash, I had reservations about it at first thinking it would hinder ones progress but really think this could open up a world of things and can only make you better at establishing truly even grinds, I can see many uses, like some have said, even outside the knife making realm. I for one need A LOT of help with my sharpening, this would be nice for that Im sure.

Now that that other stuff is in order, This does look like it will be handy for us noobs, I just got back from the shop and using my just finished nwg I can see how this system would be awesome. Im gonna try to get myself one when I can muster up the cash, I had reservations about it at first thinking it would hinder ones progress but really think this could open up a world of things and can only make you better at establishing truly even grinds, I can see many uses, like some have said, even outside the knife making realm. I for one need A LOT of help with my sharpening, this would be nice for that Im sure.

Fred,

I have found no better helper in the shop than this adjustable bubble; when it comes to putting that first edge on a new blade, freehand, I have not seen its equal.
Even people who have been grinding for years tell me they improve their grinds and cut their time by a considerable amount.

You are held in high regard around here for your technical input.2thumbs

Fred

Back