Grinder room size help.

run2trouble

Hello, I am looking at getting into knife making and have a space that is 16x32 but I am thinking that it would be nice to have a separate grinding area. It will have the same space above it for storage, dust collector etc.

My question is what size should I make the grinding room?

I have plenty of 240 and 120v power available, it is a 200 amp service.

Thanks.

Yes its a good idea for a dirty area you can build up a lot of metal dust and it travels every where and stays in the air for a long time if your not careful

I split my shop in 2 tho haven't finished the extraction etc yet I do wear a powered head filter tho

heres my layout its in mm I know you guys are still under Imperial Rule tho
but

over all length 5285mm = 17' 1"
over all width 2800mm = 9' 1"

Grinding room width 1680mm = 5' 6"

wkspplan.jpg

looks like this in real time Before i started using it

wksp3.jpg

wksp5.jpg

bit of dust now

wksp7.jpg

and i only got the other side sorted out a couple of weeks ago

wkspb700.jpg

wkspa700.jpg

Will fit out as i work out he best positions for stuff ie shelves shadow boards etc

Its a lot smaller than your shop but I get a few thro it

ATB

Duncan

Working on a new shop now. Total size 10x16, grinding and forging 7x10 area. Handles, sheaths, storage, and shipping 8.5x10 with .5 wall. 2 dust collection systems, 1 for wood, 1 for metal.

Last edited:
Hello, I am looking at getting into knife making and have a space that is 16x32 but I am thinking that it would be nice to have a separate grinding area. It will have the same space above it for storage, dust collector etc.

My question is what size should I make the grinding room?
As was mentioned you have plenty of space, I started with about 1/3rd of your shop area. I now have a shop a bit bigger than yours.

You could use a area about 6ft by 8-10ft for all the quitment and belts etc..

If you can, Put a 3FT exhaust fan in the wall by the grinder to suck all the grindings & dust out to the outside. or have a 4" collector hose with a 12 x 6 inch scoop below the contact wheel to suck it all up!

I have cheapo Shop Vac's with a good filter for each of my three Grinders & The Band Saw & 6" x48" sander.

I do my assemble on the other side of the shop in a designated "Clean" Area and I Etch my Makers Mark in the front office and keep the Etching/Logo machine up there where it won't get dust in it.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com

Back