Grinder questions. ..whats new

OkieCowboy

..ok...the file..just isn't cutting it ( see what I did there :) ) and the 1x30 hf well it's good for what it is .... but I am wanting to step up to a real grinder.. but just like 90% of the other newbies that have ever had this issue. ..budget... if I knew I could nake a marketable knife on day one..I would just got borrow the money for a "real" grinder..but we all know that isn't gonna happen... so what to do? I have the budget for a craftsman 2x42. .. that is at least another step up...I have played with one, I know maker's that are turning out great knives on one...but again..unless I turn it into a 72..and I have seen that done... it is still just another stopping point
I have seen full blown 2x72 home builts costing 900.00 and up.. I know there are o ther grinders on the market...but...is there anything I can build..now.. that would be low budget but yet expandable into a 72 later? Seems pointless to just keep buying grinders I have to git rid of as I raise money for the next step....

Is there a buildable 2x42 that can be expanded into a 72 later?? Instead of just starting over type of thing?

If you are going to build why start with 2X42 so that you can change it to 2X72 later. I don't see any added expense to build a 2X72 over a 2X42. You can build a NWG or a GIB or my Moe's Grinder. Moe's Grinder and the GIB are designed as direct drive machines. The NWG is designed as an adjustable speed grinder using step pulleys. If you are serious about making knives you will eventually want a variable speed grinder with a VFD and 3 phase motor. You can build any of these grinders with a single phase motor and can adapt either the Moe's Grinder or the GIB to an adjustable speed grinder by adding the step pulleys, pillow blocks, shaft and belt and use the single phase motor but when you upgrade to a VFD direct drive machine you will be scraping the shaft, pulleys, pillow blocks and belt and have to buy a 3 phase motor to replace the single phase motor. If you can afford it now it will be cheaper in the long run. Depending on your scrap pile you can build Moe's Grinder with the VFD and 3 phase motor for around $1,100.00, the NWG for even less with the pulleys, etc. or the GIB for slightly more.

If I can help you send me an e-mail or call.

Well, Okie, I built my grinder from plans and it didn't cost all that much really. But, I'm a good scrounger and have a big scrap box. Have you got a welder and a good drill press? If you can find a used motor somewhere, the steel isn't too much. You can buy drive wheel, idler wheels, and tracking wheels on ebay pretty reasonable. The contact wheel isn't that cheap though. Just how far are you wanting to jump in?

Edit: Guess me and Wayne were typing at the same time. I used his plans and built a Moe's grinder, but I didn't spend anywhere near the $1100. I got a motor for free, bought the plans, got some parts on ebay, etc.

Last edited:
Hey Cowboy I built my grinder from FREE plans I got from shank knives. http://www.shankcustomknives.com/ I put out about $6oo and welded it up in about one hour. I used a 2hp HF motor http://www.harborfreight.com/2-horsepower-compressor-duty-motor-67842-8287.html I also bought a 10" Aluminum /Rubber Wheel For G1015, from Grizzle industrial. Sorry I cant find the link. In his plans there is a flat platen that I use more the hollow grind wheel. I got the steel localy. The rest of it came from Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...H0.Xknife+grinder&_nkw=knife+grinder&_sacat=0 Check it out!
knife grinder.jpgknife grinder1.jpg

See this is what I was wondering. ... just what basic barebones with some lucky scrounging what kind of 72 can I build, then build and expand on as a grow and make some money..
It just seems like a waste of money to buy a grinder..just to get rid of it before long...Of course I will do what I gotta do ..but I want to make knives.. .. I guess I need to take a look at what you guys are talking about as to how cheap I can actually get one built and get going

The motor in the pictures won't last long. It is not TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) and will suck the metal grindings inside and short out the motor.

Okie, if you are like some guys that want to make knives but not tools, take a look at a Coote grinder. It's an older 2 wheel design but still used by quite a few makers. A little over $500 for grinder with 8" contact wheel. You have to provide your own motor, belt, and pulleys. If you only flat grind you can save s little bit and go with a smaller contact wheel. The next option up would be a basic KMG from Beaumont with flat platen only. Again, you would need to supply motor etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built my own 2x72 as well. didnt have the budget for VFD etc so went with step pulley's. So far I just have the grinder, tool arm with platen and a tool arm for slack belt. I just ordered the parts to build a tool arm to hold disc grinder as well as a buffing wheel.

Ive also got some neat idea floating around in my head for a nice bevel sled system but that will probably have to wait until i get the disc and buffer arms built.

Here is a link to my wip if interested. The biggest expense was the various pulley's and motor. The aluminum I used cost more than if I had gone mild steal, but the aluminum was a lot easier to work with and I could cut it easily on my tablesaw.

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?30899-DIY-no-weld-Belt-buff-disc

If you're considering building your own grinder, you might take a look at this thread:

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?38839-New-Grinder-for-me

I've got a tad less than $500 in this setup, including VFD and new 2hp 3 ph TEFC motor ($127 shipped). If you have access to a drill press, a DIY 2X72 is pretty easy to build, and you can even purchase the platen assembly from ebay in link above and still not have too much money invested.

How long the open motor will last on a 2X72 grinder depends a lot on how much it's used. Hobby knifemaking where it runs a few hrs each week or two, open motor will last a LONG time, especially with a tad of shielding(or filter) to deflect dust. If using for several hrs each day in a full time professional business - I'd only use if free, then when it did finally fail, buy TEFC motor. Have fun, and good luck.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all,

Ken H>

Ok... thanks to you all for a the advise... now my next question. .who's plans are best.. ? Lol geez does everything have to be so hard.. now one question. . Is it necessary to start out with a wheel for hollow grinds? The only experience I have is (other than files and my 1x30) is flat grinding on a 2x42 that someone was nice enough to let me play with for a while.. is there a plan that would allow for the addition of such things at at later date? Once I learned more about what I was doing? That make sense?

"Best plans" isn't that easy. I think it's more what plans are best for your budget, tools, fabrication skills, etc. I was going to build a KMG clone at first, but it uses a lot if 3/4" plate and I just didnt think I'd get good enough cuts with a torch. The KMG does make tool arm changes easy.

Boss sells a no weld grinder plans if you don't have a welder. I went with Wayne's plans because the seemed like kind of a middle of the road solution. May not be the best, but better than a lot, very easy to build and versitile. I'll still probably build a KMG clone one of these days, two grinders have to be better than one, right?

Might help people give advice if you gave some parameters. Budget, tools, fab skills, etc.

Greg - the plans I emailed you are pretty much a KMG clone. 1/2" thick is all that's really needed. The 3/4" used in above referenced plans are for a pretty big bracket. I like the KMG style better.... I think. Anthony says it best:
more what plans are best for your budget, tools, fabrication skills, etc

Of course, I tend to think if a person can build knifes, then he should be able to build most anything - knives are HARD to build {g}.

Ken H>

Ok... thanks to you all for a the advise... now my next question. .who's plans are best.. ? Lol geez does everything have to be so hard.. now one question. . Is it necessary to start out with a wheel for hollow grinds? The only experience I have is (other than files and my 1x30) is flat grinding on a 2x42 that someone was nice such things at at later date? Once I learned more about what I was doing? That make sense?[/enough to let me play with for a while.. is there a plan that would allow for the addition of QUOTE]

I'm sure there's probably other ways, but practicly speaking, yes a wheel is neccesary for a hollow grind. The other doable alternative is making a radius platen which you can make to any radius you want. If you build any variety of grinder requiring a tool bar, add-ons are as simple as drilling and tapping a hole or two. There are platen assemblies available that run two different size wheels above and under the platen. Any of 3 positions gives a different grind.

Rudy

Back