Grinder in a box!

D.BRODESS

Came across a grinder today,,called grinder in a box,,,by polar bear forge,,anyone have any experience with this grinder?

Dan

Came across a grinder today,,called grinder in a box,,,by polar bear forge,,anyone have any experience with this grinder?

Dan

If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, its a great kit grinder. I have one and love it, it made a huge difference in my knife making. Though, I am building a KMG clone now due to its low cost and my need of another grinder. If you're able to make precise cuts, drills and such, the KMG clone is a great project. But back to the original post, my GIB will always have a place in my shop.

Check out Norman Coote's Grinders, One of these and some step pulleys and a 1-2 HP motor with some link belt and you will be a Grinding Fool!
Got my www.cootebeltgrinder.com/ over 14 years ago and it's still working away in my shop! Get the 2" x72"
They have the best priced for surface area and most kinds of belts available.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I have a GIB also, it is really just a frame or chassis kit and you have to add the motor, tooling arm, platen, small wheel holder, etc. It uses KMG tooling, so for my 2 cents it's probably very comparable to a KMG clone in all the important aspects. I also have a Coote and it is not a bad machine by any means, but it falls short of the 3-wheel designs for versatility.

Thanks,,for the input guys,,,going to have to get out some pen and paper! figure out what everythings,,going to add up to! might be cheaper to get the kmg from beaumont!
Dan

If you already have parts like a motor, or steel for tooling arms, then the GIB will save you $. If you have to go retail for every component then it becomes less and less of a savings. Your own inclinations and capabilities regarding a home build are also a factor, if you don't want to have to tweak and tune then the KMG is probably a good bet, it willl run smooth right out of the box.
It is worth noting that all of the rolling stock from a KMG can be mounted on the GIB except the step pulleys, really the only functional difference is that the GIB is designed for direct drive, so a VFD and 3-phase motor is the only way to get variable speed without adding your own pulley setup.

Justin,,that was one of my biggest concerns,,direct drive,, what do you think about covering that hole with steel plate,,and mounting a pillow block on each side of the GIB..running a drive shaft! might work,,then i can blow my money on a variable speed motor...lol

I have some experience with it.... ;)

Cost wise, it does end up cheaper than a KMG, there's just a bit more assembly involved.

There have been a couple people that have either mounted a plate on the upright or pillow blocks on the base and gave it a couple speed through step pulleys.

Wayne Coe is a good place to get a good motor at a good price. He's here on the forums.

Jamie

Just how much experience do yo have..lol . Pillow blocks on the base is a good idea! Probably be ordering one from you!
Dan

Back