Greetings from Upstate SC (Simpsonville)

Badger Matt

I'm looking for a fun and challenging hobby for my retirement and thinking amateur knife-making might just be the thing. I'm no talented craftsman, but made a kayak, fly rod, muzzle loader, and rifle stock...all from kits or under the watchful eye of a true craftsman. I'll be posting elsewhere soon to try and find someone in my area who might give lessons.

I retired after 28 years in the Air Force (enlisted and officer) and have been teaching AFJROTC at a local high school for 7 years. The current plan, set in Jello, is for another two yearsbof teaching before true retirement.

Thanks!

Glad to see you here Matt. The expertise offered willingly to new or aspiring makers will soon have you plying your craft and showing us the results.

Matt

Welcome! I am a newbie as well just north of you in the Tryon/Columbus area and lucked upon a great place for classes and weekly forge time. It is the Tryon Arts and Craft Center. I took a 2 4hr session knife class in Feb and left with what I felt was a nice 1st knife (and a new hobby)

There is a Saturday/Sunday class in June that I signed up for to reiterate the basics I am learning. I highly recommend it and it is really inexpensive at $125.00 plus a $20.00 material fee. Great way to get your feet wet and top shelf folks.

I will PM you my email and contact info if you want more info

Back