green river origin?

I am probably not adding this in the correct spot, but could not figure out how to start a new subject. I have come across a knife with a stag handle that is marked,"Russell, Green River Works, Made in U.S.A., 4215" I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about this knife or if they have seen one like it. The Stag handle has a bear on all fours craved out of the end of the handle and a brass bolster where the blade is joined to the handle. I am going to try to attach some photos. Any help would be appreciated.KIMG0017.jpgKIMG0018.jpg

You can get those blades from USA Knifemaker Supply.
Just click on "knifemaking supplies" on the forum header.
These are good quality high carbon blades and are favored by Cowboy Action Shooters and re-enactors.

As Steve said..... the blades are readily available.....as for the rest, it's obvious to me that somebody purchased the blade, then tried to put a guard and handle on it.

There was two styles of them that were made in Great Britain in the thousands and shipped into the USA as a trade item. One was shaped as a common knife for kitchen knife the other as a skinner. They got their "name" because of being commonly recognized in the "Green River" area of the USA where trapping and buffalo hunting was so popular. I was given a pair to replace the oak handles on and took a pattern copy of. The skinners were big. I made many from known saw blades. They did work really well particularly on moose.
Frank

Back