Graduation present in G10

Stormcrow

This was a commission from a Marine who wanted a high school graduation present for his brother who is slated to attend West Point. He wanted my Benghazi Warfighter design with handles in the high school's colors, navy blue and white. Given the limited color palette in Micarta, I turned to G10 for the very first time. I'd read horror stories about how difficult it is to work with, and of course there is the extra health hazard with the glass fibers while shaping it, but overall it wasn't too bad. It's not a material I want to work with a whole lot, but I'm sure I'll use it more down the road.

In addition, he wanted "Class of 2013" on the handle. I looked around, found a laser engraver who specializes in firearms and is only a 15 minute drive away, and got it taken care of.

This was also the first time I used a liner on a slab handle, in this case white G10 to match the school's colors. Nothing much to it; I epoxied the two different colors of G10 together and clamped them tightly overnight, then worked it as a single piece as I always would. :)

Other than that, it was relatively typical for me. 5160 steel, triple normalized, triple hardened, triple tempered, shaving sharp. Flared stainless steel tube rivets. Kydex sheath, gray in this case, with a TekLok. Da woiks. :D

I really like it. As I've commented before, I like the forged look of your knives.

Just curious, whats the thickness of the 5160 in the handle? it looks pretty stout.

Thank y'all!

Eddie - It's 1/4". There are a fair number of lightening holes underneath there, and the balance works out to be right at the blade/tang transition.

Back