GKimmi's 2020 KITH

Family is way more important than a KITH, I sincerely believe you should put it off until next year. My Christmas wish gift this year is that Kimmi puts off my KITH until after Christmas.

Just an update as progress has slowed down. I have contacted scher68 and wanted to let you guys know, this one is going to be a little late as I have tested positive for the Covid bug. I’m going to try to have this one done and out before Christmas.
I wish you as speedy and complete recovery Gene. God bless!

So happy your family got through the Covid, our step-son is clear as well and thankfully did not spread to the rest of us.

Now it's time to shape the handle. First, I mark some lines on each side of the handle to use as reference lines while shaping.

The first grinding I do is to put a taper from the front of the handle to about the middle.

Next, I grind the back half of the handle with an 8" wheel.

Then I go back to the flat platen and grind the butt to a wedge shape.

Sometimes the sawdust from grinding can show whether you are even from side to side.

The last step on the grinder is using a 1" scalloped belt to round the corners. I start out by grinding angles on the corners, then rounding those off. I also blend the flats with the cut made with the 8" wheel.

At this point, the handle is probably 95% done, all on the grinder. Hand sanding is next.

Dang that is beautiful, I need to step up my game and try this handle type. I am guessing it is glued and tightened with corby for permanent bond?

Back