Ghetto Forging

stabber

Knife Dealer Extraordinaire
I need to tweak my blade a bit so Stabber Jr and I lit up our forge last night.2thumbs

Picture20093.jpg

Picture20094.jpg

Picture20102.jpg

Picture20104.jpg

Picture20107.jpg

Picture20112.jpg

Picture20113.jpg

Picture20118.jpg

As you can see, She's a bit better than it was....I think
Picture20062.jpg

Keep it up! Looks like those blades are turning out good. Your multipurpose anvil looks a bit small, but you're both making it work.
Happy hammering!

-Rob Gardner

THATS what I've been waiting to see...

Stabber and little Stabber making knives at the house...

You got the bug man. Now start knocking them out...

A decent anvil on ebay runs $3 to $4 a pound. A name brand anvil on ebay runs up to $5/lb.

Put IG on it. He'll find you a decent one.

replied to rate this thread...

5 stars for the ghetto forge pictures...

Thanks Rob & Tracy!!

I drew up a few options:D Easy on paper, i know!!huh1

Picture20119.jpg

Last edited:
I love it! Though my back and knees cringe at the sight of those pics :D. I'd suggest finding a good stump or making a stand out of scrap lumber. Here's what I use:

IMG_0206.jpg

You can mount that vice to the stump or stand and an anvil to it later on.

--nathan

Oh Indeed Nathan! Awesome setup!!

I'm already a half cripple with my bad back and neck issues. This was in a pinch-"Had too" Job;)

Comfort is the key. so is Stock removal I think.......Er.......Em.......Who said that?:D

Very cool!! I'm sure there's still quite a few folks that do2thumbs

I like a coal fire, with some form of dead animal on it:D

good stuff, really shows determination.....and i started pounding the exact same way, except i used a hair dryer with the grill, and had a 25lb elevator weight for an anvil, on my knees in the garage ......dont the japaneese do it that way???? forging that is?

btw i love coal forging, did an awful lot of it. burnt many tons of the stuff:)

-andrew

Added a pic of my large fighter roughed out. No handle shape yet. Need better equipment!!

Picture20133.jpg

Very cool! Just get p and do it! Looking ofrward to the finished products!

You guys are a trip. Is there a reason Rick Jr's grinding with the belt moving up? Isn't that a lot riskier for the eyes with the crap shooting up like that? Can the machine be spun around so he's grinding on the other side of the machine with the belt moving in the downward direction?

Looks like you guys are managing to spin gold without any straw! I think I recognize a blade or two from your work at IG's when I was there.

:eek: Yes President Bubba!! You must be a mind reader:pI was going to speek to George the Forge builder:D We need to talk;)

Back