Getting started making knife handles

jackknifeh

Hello. First post here except for introduction. My first (of many probably) request is for advice on a book to get me started making knife handles for fixed blades and folders. I have made 5 or 10 handles for kitchen knives after buying the blade blanks and handle material. So far I've used bone, G-10 and dymondwood. I know I should have gotten a book or some guidance first but being somewhat limited on funds I wanted to buy something I could play with so I got material instead. Now I have a fairly good idea of what I'm doing up till now and should get knowledge from folks who know much more than I do. I have a feeling I don't really need help with knife issues as much as basic woodworking. Or whatever material I'm working with. Especially safety info. I'm told it's not a good idea to inhale the G-10 dust. Stuff like that is important. My first thought in this area was "I want to make knives" as a hobby. Inet searching led me to Murray Carter's site. When I saw the equipment required to make the blades I immediately eliminated that part and can only focus on handle making. I may make a knife from scratch sometime out of steel you can cut and shape with a Dremel. I have used the Dremel to shape the spine of ZDP-189 steel. I was very happy with the Dremel's performance and encouraged about it's potential. The Dremel is the only tool I have that is really useful for this hobby. I have three rotary tools and most of the attachments and lots of accessories.

Anyway, I'd appreciate suggestions on GOOD books. I have played A LOT of pool in my life and read many books. The way some are written they provide a ton of info and are interesting to read (not boring) as well. Some provide information that is not accurate and actually harm the learning and improvement process. I would like to skip those type books regarding knife handles or wood working. I also want to make decorative handles involving engraving/carving. Something like a scene of a dear being stalked by a native american around 300 years ago. You know, "an indian". :1: This type of work may be a month or two down the road though. :1: Advice on small tools is apprecated as well. The Dremel work station is a drill press but not extremely accurate. I think this is the most needed next tool I need. Bench sander is needed too. Other than that I don't know what else people use or why.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Jack

Hey Jack and welcome...wanna play some one-pocket :) :) I used to play 35/40 years ago and still have a couple of cues around.

I can't suggest a book but I would suggest that you see if you can find a local knife-maker and arrange a visit. Most of the makers I have met are wonderful, sharing people who love to talk knives and share knowledge. ...Teddy

Hey Jack and welcome...wanna play some one-pocket :) :) I used to play 35/40 years ago and still have a couple of cues around.

I can't suggest a book but I would suggest that you see if you can find a local knife-maker and arrange a visit. Most of the makers I have met are wonderful, sharing people who love to talk knives and share knowledge. ...Teddy

Never played more than 5 games of one pocket. Played a bit of straight pool but where I played and when I played nine ball was the big thing. Makes for better TV. Quick, fast and easier to understand. I have a 7' Valley bar table but it is covered with junk right now. One day I'll get it cleaned off. My son never wanted to mess much with the game. He amazed his friends in HS but that wasn't too difficult. Now I have a 3 year old grandson. Maybe he'll take an interest. I'm good enough to really get him started at a young age with what I consider good technique and habits. We'll see. Lot of better ways to show interest though, that's for sure. I would like to see him on Youtube at the age of 10 running racks of nine-ball. :1:

I wouldn't even know how to find a knife maker where I live. I don't really know many people around here. Lived here for over 25 years but spent so much time away for work I never really "lived" here. Now I don't work any more and here I sit, needing a hobby. :1: I started working on a set of scales for a Spyderco Jester today. It's a keychain size knife. I'm putting some black/silver dymondwood on it.. It's a small folder that I carry all the time. It's all the knife the pieces of material I have are big enough for. All I have is scrap pieces. Ordered a little bit of G-10 this morning. I haven't gotten proficient enough to try anything expensive. When I spend significant money on material I want to be able to really make it look good. I want make some scales for my EDC folders with really beautiful wood one day. Also, a set of kitchen knives is a goal. I've made some paring knives and a carving knife. One thing about these is you don't have to match anything up. On folders the shape can't be changed other than the thickness.

Getting long winded. Sorry. Thanks for replying.

Jack

phone spelling error

Jack, get the Handles & Guards book by Joe Keeslar, MS. Great book with lots of information on exactly what you want. It is an easy read with a lot of illustrations. After you read it you can email him about buying one of his silver wire inlay tool kits. He's a great guy and should answer you in a couple of days. He travels a lot.

Welcome on board.

Google his book and read what other knifemakers think too.

Last edited:
There is one thing about machine sanding handle materials and that is the dust from most of it can be toxic to you, so if you are going to be doing that get a respirator. One of the first knives I made had cherry scales and I had a sore throat for two weeks. A tool you might consider for your blade making would be a four and a half inch handheld grinder.

Welcome,
TODAY go buy a half or full face Respirator, A half 3/m brand will run about $30.00. Forget the paper things.

After the Dremel burns out get a Foredom Flexshaft with a foot pedal & keyed chuck.
About $250.00 to your door and worth every penny for handle sculpting and lots more.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back