Getting serious in 2014.

akey

I made my first few knives late last year but I didn't have a lot of the proper techniques down so they came out less than stellar. I have decided to get serious about this and see where it takes me. One of my problems was trying to rush the steps(especially hand sanding) because I was so anxious to get to the end. What I ended up with was a half a-- knife. I have taken a step back and slowed things down and concentrated more on following through each step in a steady and deliberate manner. Here are a few knives I am working on right now. These both need edges and my maker's mark but I think they are miles ahead of the first few I made. These are the last two of a batch of 6 or so I made to give away as gifts while I get better. They were all pretty much identical as I wanted to get a lot of practice doing the same thing over and over on the same basic profile.

lightbox2_zpsf05b41c6.jpg

IMGP3559.jpg

Akey

Very nice job.

You have this knife making thing figured out. Slow down and take each step seriously.

In the end, you get a really cool and good looking product.

Keep up the good work.

DeMo

Those look great. It looks like you took your sweet time sanding those blades out! The finish on them is top notch for sure. I started making knives about the same time you did and I have to same problem you did. I usually don't start rushing until after I have determined that the knife is not going to be perfect, so I just start to hurry up and finish so I can get on to the next one. I need to realize that I will never make one that is perfect in my mind and just slow down and really work each step through. I think you have gotten a handle on it better than me. I can't wait to see where you are by the end of this year!

Bill

Akey,
Those really look nice and consistent.
One thing I have noticed over the years is that there are peaks of new highs in consistency and valleys of new lows in ruined materials too! Ha Ha Ha!
So enjoy the journey

Nice! The more you do the better you will get. Keep one of them from each step of improvement and a hundred knives from now you will have something to really smile about.

Keep up the good work.

Update time. I have finished a few knives similar to the ones in the first post. I have also ruined a few, too. :biggrin: Here is a pic of my most recent one that was a new style for me. I believe it would be a sheepsfoot but the difference between sheepsfoot and wharncliffe seems a bit blurry depending on who you ask. This was the funnest(and easiest) one I have made so far. I still have a little to go on the handle and a few scratches in the blade I need to get out.

7" OAL
Stabilized Buckeye Burl
Black canvas micarta pins
Black liner

IMGP3583_zps802437f4.jpg

So enjoy the journey

The more you do the better you will get

Two absolute jewels of advice! Making knives IS all about the journey.....when you forget that, things get tedious and hard.
"The more you do the better you get"......and that each day you step into the shop, you will learn something new. Goes hand in hand with knifemaking being all about the journey.

Back