Getting rid of scratches....question?

If you are talking about sanding the handle material............
I see a lot of handles showing the sanding lines and to me it looks bad.
The sanding block helps to keep crisp edges for the piece you are sanding.
After using a block I use a piece of foam rubber as a backer for the sandpaper.
Last I just use the sandpaper and my hand.
If you have a light behind the piece you are sanding it is easier to see any lines you missed.

If you are talking about sanding the handle material............
I see a lot of handles showing the sanding lines and to me it looks bad.
The sanding block helps to keep crisp edges for the piece you are sanding.
After using a block I use a piece of foam rubber as a backer for the sandpaper.
Last I just use the sandpaper and my hand.
If you have a light behind the piece you are sanding it is easier to see any lines you missed.

Like you, I can't go the sanding lines but they are a bugger to get completely out. The sanding block works fairly well for me but I'm still having problem getting it where I'd like to have it. I usually spray mine with water and hold it up to the fluorescent light to see if any are still there.

Unfortunately the best shortcut to a fine finish seems to be sand until you are sick to death of it, and then sand some more. I go to 1k grit on my user knives; 2k on Hamons, and 2k on handles; all by hand. My grit progression is 220/320/400/600/800/1000/1200/1500/2000. It seems to take forever to get to 600 but after that it all goes pretty fast if I have properly sanded with the prior grits. Still, It takes about 4-6 hours per blade, sometimes more; especially if I get in a hurry.
Hurry = takes more time than it would have to patiently do it right the first time.

Back