Garden hoe head

Stormcrow

This was commissioned by a Zombie Squad member as a present for his sister. Most of the forging was done with Gunnhilda, my homebrewed power hammer. I started with a piece of new leaf spring stock, forged out the neck and spread out the preform for the socket. I actually used math to figure up the size of the socket to fit a regular hoe handle with a bit of shaving on the handle to ensure a tight fit.

hoe2.jpg

hoe1.jpg

Then I rolled the socket and cut the hoe free from the parent stock.

hoe3.jpg

Then I spread the blade out and thinned it down.

hoe4.jpg

hoe5.jpg

Because the neck got forged a bit off-centered when I forged it, the blade came out off-centered. I trimmed it more even and ground the edge bevel in.

hoe6.jpg

I stamped my touchmark on the blade, the first time I've done that on a hoe. Then came the part of the process that is most difficult for me, bending the neck into the appropriate angle. If the angle's off a bit, it won't work very well.

hoe7.jpg

Then I hardened the blade and neck in commercial quench oil.

hoe8.jpg

hoe9.jpg

hoe10.jpg

After that I tempered it in my kiln.

hoe11.jpg

This morning after pulling it out, I drilled a hole and forged a little nail to make sure that it stays on the handle once it's fitted.

hoe12.jpg

hoe13.jpg

hoe14.jpg

hoe15.jpg

hoe16.jpg

And now it's off to its new home, in time for Christmas. :)

Nice job on the hoe looks very well done. But you cant talk about your home brew powerhammer and then not show pics. Thats just mean.
CW

I've used some hoes in my life and the handle to socket fit is really important to avoid wobble.

Did you form the taper on a mandrel or free hand it ?
It's a nice feature to keep the bottom end of that taper open so you can drive it on a little further as it shrinks.

The hardware store stuff now is so poorly made, this one will stand right out.

I've known people that keep hoes handy for use as a reacher, grabber, walking stick and never sees the garden at all.

How would you do a solid socket ?

Count - I free-handed the socket for the most part, using the step on my anvil to start it. I did have to use a mandrel a little to get the seam where it wasn't overlapped down at the bottom. I also used a swage block a little to make sure the socket was nice and round.

As for a solid socket, I'd probably arc weld it. Not much reason to, though; this is plenty strong and you will break the handle or bend the neck before the socket goes anywhere.

Back