Garbage steel

My honyaki blade was kinda thick at the top of the blade road, so in some ingredients, it would wedge. Most Honyaki blades I have seen are pretty thick (probably less chance of cracking during the quench), especially towards the spine, so the performance was only so so. It was a buffed mirror finish and had deeper scratches underneath the buffed finish. I didn't really notice much special edge holding wise compared to other steels at similar rockwells (or Super Steels) and sharpening it was fine, too. I have a 52100 blade and it is much thinner and performs much better! $900 for a Honyaki blade with a buffed finished and a faint temper line isn't worth it IMHO! My other $200-$250 Japanese gyuto performed better.

I ran into a few people who made comments like " Oh, you don't forge your blades?" or "Isn't forging better?". I would tell them stock removal allows me to use a much wider variety of steels, including stainless and tool steels, as well as forging steels. Fif brought forging knives to the forefront, but people have little clue that you can do a knife entirely from stock removal and it's still a very good knife! Some people think a knife HAS to be forged by a bladesmith! Forging allows you to use other sizes of materials and not have to grind as much away, but limits your steel choices. I know stock removal knives can pass the ABS tests, but you have to forge your blades to be a Master Smith. I wish there was a similar certification for stock removal blades as well as forged blades!

In the Japanese kitchen knife community, some people really frown on stamped out blades from mill rolled san mai steel and push forged blades as superior. I've had some of both and the mill san mai performs just as well as the forged stuff or better! The forged stuff has more character to the lamination line typically over the plain straighter line, but the smith can also reforge the billet to get the more active lamination line, too.

I use damascus bar stock and grind away, but I want to start forging my own damascus and san mai barstock to use as well. I ran into inclusions with Alabama Damascus and the steels aren't my choice either. I used a piece of Damascus from Randy Haas and it was a joy to work and came out beautiful!! I don't mind the forged finish when done intentionally and done well, but when it's haphazard and not done well (pits all over where the blade is ground), it looks horrible. Same with seeing wonky grind lines, multi faceted bevels or the edge bevel that is super thick/wide. Some people think it's a great knife because it's forged, and accept poor fit and finish because it is supposed to be "rustic" looking. Forged knives can look just as clean or bad as stock removal knives! It's in the skill of the maker. FiF seems to have really lowered people's expectations on fit and finish though in most cases and doesn't always showcase what the makers are really capable of!

Wow. It is incredible how the more things change, the more they stay exactly the same. This thread could have been cut and pasted from any number of discussions from 2000, 1995 or even before, and with identical talking points. Except, and I will give you folks this, so far you are much nicer to each other these days. Not taking a side either way here, just noting how eternal the debate is, sometimes I wonder if each generation thinks it's a new one.
Oh, come now. You have been known to occasionally "take a side" on the junk/unknown steel discussion. :D

For those interested I found a an incredible step by step for making a knife from a leaf spring.
Boy, those handle bolts sure look comfy!!!

My honyaki blade was kinda thick at the top of the blade road, so in some ingredients, it would wedge. Most Honyaki blades I have seen are pretty thick (probably less chance of cracking during the quench), especially towards the spine, so the performance was only so so. It was a buffed mirror finish and had deeper scratches underneath the buffed finish. I didn't really notice much special edge holding wise compared to other steels at similar rockwells (or Super Steels) and sharpening it was fine, too. I have a 52100 blade and it is much thinner and performs much better! $900 for a Honyaki blade with a buffed finished and a faint temper line isn't worth it IMHO! My other $200-$250 Japanese gyuto performed better.

I ran into a few people who made comments like " Oh, you don't forge your blades?" or "Isn't forging better?". I would tell them stock removal allows me to use a much wider variety of steels, including stainless and tool steels, as well as forging steels. Fif brought forging knives to the forefront, but people have little clue that you can do a knife entirely from stock removal and it's still a very good knife! Some people think a knife HAS to be forged by a bladesmith! Forging allows you to use other sizes of materials and not have to grind as much away, but limits your steel choices. I know stock removal knives can pass the ABS tests, but you have to forge your blades to be a Master Smith. I wish there was a similar certification for stock removal blades as well as forged blades!

In the Japanese kitchen knife community, some people really frown on stamped out blades from mill rolled san mai steel and push forged blades as superior. I've had some of both and the mill san mai performs just as well as the forged stuff or better! The forged stuff has more character to the lamination line typically over the plain straighter line, but the smith can also reforge the billet to get the more active lamination line, too.

I use damascus bar stock and grind away, but I want to start forging my own damascus and san mai barstock to use as well. I ran into inclusions with Alabama Damascus and the steels aren't my choice either. I used a piece of Damascus from Randy Haas and it was a joy to work and came out beautiful!! I don't mind the forged finish when done intentionally and done well, but when it's haphazard and not done well (pits all over where the blade is ground), it looks horrible. Same with seeing wonky grind lines, multi faceted bevels or the edge bevel that is super thick/wide. Some people think it's a great knife because it's forged, and accept poor fit and finish because it is supposed to be "rustic" looking. Forged knives can look just as clean or bad as stock removal knives! It's in the skill of the maker. FiF seems to have really lowered people's expectations on fit and finish though in most cases and doesn't always showcase what the makers are really capable of!
What's really funny is when people take stock removal knoves and hit them with a ball peen hammer or some kind of die to give them a "forge finish" It's even funnier when they jsut leave the mill scale on the flats. i have seen knife business with "forge" in their name and nothng but stock removal blades with that faux forge finish.

For those interested I found a an incredible step by step for making a knife from a leaf spring.
I missed this the first time around.

I'm not sure if you're serious, being sarcastic or attempting to stir the pot?

What about this link you posted do you find "incredible"? And I'm being serious.

I honestly think there are numerous WIP threads on various knife forums with better information and a much better end result than the tutorial you linked......a few here on this very forum.

Ouch, I think Paul is sarcastic with his recommendation! LOL. There are so many head shake moments in that instructable and so much bad info. 400-500+ degrees for tempering, chicago/binding screws for the handle scales, etc! Unfortunately, that's the norm for today! People who have no clue what they are talking about posting like they are experts and showing people how to do something that they themselves do poorly.

I have left the mill scale on the flats of a stock removal knife after heat treating in the past. But I didn't call it "forged" or anything like that! I was making a quick knife for a friend and didn't feel like removing the mill scale on the rest of the blade. If people are texturing a pattern, that is OK, but they should not be marketing it as forged! They are capitalizing on the romantic notion of a forged blade. They are making forgeries of a forged blade, so I guess it is forged (faked)!

Oh, come now. You have been known to occasionally "take a side"
I say this in all seriousness and it is not about anyone in this conversation but there does not have to be sides in this question. Just because someone likes to use leaf spring to make a knife does not mean that person is against someone who does not. The reverse is also true. If one does not like using leaf spring they should not be against those that do. A forged knife maker should not be against a stock remover and vice versa. I am older than many on this forum and younger than some but I remember a time when adults could hold differing opinions and still get along, help each other and be friends. It seems now days that you either think like me or you are stupid has taken over.

For the record, I really do not like using leaf springs for much of anything. They rust if you look at them wrong and just take an awful finish no matter what you do but that is my opinion. If you like using them I am not against you.

I missed this the first time around.

I'm not sure if you're serious, being sarcastic or attempting to stir the pot?

What about this link you posted do you find "incredible"? And I'm being serious.

I honestly think there are numerous WIP threads on various knife forums with better information and a much better end result than the tutorial you linked......a few here on this very forum.
Being a little mischievous;)
Sorry if you thought I was serious.

I have left mill scale on a few Bowie’s I have made, at customer request. And I have ball peened texture on blade flats. I like the look, personally. I always specify forged or stock removal on the blades I make. And I do forge an occasional knife using leaf spring and vintage plow points.
Here are a few examples.
F9662C91-B444-4600-B2D5-35CE52F9C686.jpeg00EF6CF5-F467-40A7-89ED-BB3362C9F9E1.jpeg0FB53872-87E3-440B-8226-816DEE71DB6E.jpeg

Last edited:
I have left mill scale on a few Bowie’s I have made, at customer request. And I have ball peened texture on blade flats. I like the look, personally. I always specify forged or stock removal on the blades I make. And I do forge an occasional knife using leaf spring and vintage plow points.
Here are a few examples.
View attachment 81869View attachment 81870View attachment 81871
I actually forged three knives a couple of years back that had some hammer texture on the flats and ricasso. This was about the same time as I was making a number of stock remval kitchen knives from AEB-L EVIL STAINLESS STEEL so I was lookng to commit a multitude of sins. The flats were very narrow and I soaked the blades in vinegar to remove the actual scale and just leave the bare steel. The looked okay, but I still developed a nervous tick over not having totally "clean" blades. One also had etched wrought iron fittings, so I was doubly twitchy. :D

I actually forged three knives a couple of years back that had some hammer texture on the flats and ricasso. This was about the same time as I was making a number of stock remval kitchen knives from AEB-L EVIL STAINLESS STEEL so I was lookng to commit a multitude of sins. The flats were very narrow and I soaked the blades in vinegar to remove the actual scale and just leave the bare steel. The looked okay, but I still developed a nervous tick over not having totally "clean" blades. One also had etched wrought iron fittings, so I was doubly twitchy. :D
As long as the knife is well made with quality materials the finish can be anything the maker or owner chooses. I like all types of finish. As a point of interest I see some knives on the bushcraft forums that have the handles wrapped in twine - primative rugged look.

As long as the knife is well made with quality materials the finish can be anything the maker or owner chooses. I like all types of finish. As a point of interest I see some knives on the bushcraft forums that have the handles wrapped in twine - primative rugged look.
I am a big fan of Rick Marchand's work. I like James Helm's stuff too. But I cant really pull that off at this point. My first attempt at a "forged finish" knife was actually a W2 chopper done kinda sorta in the style of Jimmy Fikes. I didn't blot the cord handle enough so you could see shiny bobs of epoxy. But lit was just an experiment that got ruined when my shop sprung a leak in the roof. Couple of projects were on the bench below the leak and I was out of town when it happened. I want to try that again now that I know how to do the epoxy soak properly. But lets not get started on some of the crazy fanboyism you see on the bushcraft forums. Anyone remember what Turley knives were going for on the secondary market a few years back? ;)

The knives on the bushcraft forum I’m on like most all style knives. But the focus is more on utility and abuse worthy. Someone just posted this knife and I must admit it is a drooler.
9CE575DE-4F67-4A39-B90F-95F963D38EE9.jpg

Back