Future Cut Throat razor

izafireman

Something I have always wanted to make is a cut throat razor, well that and lots of other blades, I think the list will never end!

My question is, what thickness of stock and steels are suitable for a cut throat please, oh and in MM ;)

Now as I have extremely painful tendons in both arms I have only ever made blades by stock removal and laser cut blanks, forging is out of the question for me.

In the past all my steel has been heat treated in bulk by industrial heat treaters but it is my intention to build a heat treat oven in the next couple of years and get nearer to the 'dark side ' of knife making and do my own heat treatment. :) In fact I am just making a PID controlled tempering / cactus juice curing oven.

As am having a laser cut done soon (AEB-L 3MM) I thought I might get some razor blanks cut of a thicker / different steel.

The other thing is, for some reason I have it in my head that a cut throat needs to be made on a smaller wheel but as my wheel is 12 , maybe 14 inch would that be ok?

Thanks in advance

If by cut throat, you mean a straight razor, then the general rule is that the thickness of the spine of the blade should be about 1/4 as thick as the width. So 1/4 for 1 inch, 3/16 for 3/4. You sharpened a razor with the entire blade flat on the stone. Typically, a razor would be ground on say a 3 inch wheel until you wanted to go crazy hollow like a "full hollow" grind. I would watch some videos on Youtube. Chalie Lewis has a few.

If by cut throat, you mean a straight razor, then the general rule is that the thickness of the spine of the blade should be about 1/4 as thick as the width. So 1/4 for 1 inch, 3/16 for 3/4. You sharpened a razor with the entire blade flat on the stone. Typically, a razor would be ground on say a 3 inch wheel until you wanted to go crazy hollow like a "full hollow" grind. I would watch some videos on Youtube. Chalie Lewis has a few.
I’ve watched all the Lewis Razor videos, his double hollow grind setup is crazy

I saw a video of a guy making a straight razor shaped fix bladed knife earlier, looked like a novelty knife but cool none the less

I attempted to make a straight razor a few years back. It was...abysmal to say the least. But I'm certain I will try one again when I have better equipment.

Yes that's is what I mean, a straight razor.

Thanks for the info.

:)

I've made many strait razors and your blade geometry is extremely important, the spine should be 1/4 the width and when it lays flat on a stone for honing it should be 17 degrees. Your should end up with a foil ege that you can run your fingernail under and see the deflection on a full hollow. There are a few variations on the grind from full hollow to wedge. A 8 inch wheel will give you a near wedge and a two inch wheel will give you a full hollow on a 6/8 blade .As far as steel goes you cant beat O1 ,A2 will give you a horrible edge and leave your face crying. I have shaved exclusively with straight razors for about 10 years and would not use anything else.

Do a YouTube search for Portland Razor Company. They must have 50 videos up and talk about every facet of straight razors. I stopped in and talked with them and they are very good about telling you anything you need.

Erik

Back