Fullers?

IanBryant

More specifically, tapered fullers....

I saw a knife somewhere the other day with tapered "teardrop" fullers on it and thought to myself "self,we can do that"... so I headed for my calculator and did some trig and geometry to figure out depth/angle ratios and all that stuff that makes you feel smart if you get it right on the first go. I then (with my supervisor's permission...he's a cool guy and actually helped) headed towards the nearest Bridgeport with a piece of 01,a 5/8 ball end mill and my sin bar in tow...

Fast forward 30 minutes and I have what I was hoping to become my next blade in hand and I show my boss....he takes it and looks it over and then gives me that "seasoned toolmaker"grin and says "what did you do different? "....my heart dropped...one side was longer than the other and now I have to even them out....after I figure out how to even them out...

So long story short, when milling tapered fullers how do you guys get consistent grooves on each side? Jigs? Super careful setup....twice?
Help.
My next blade WILL have tapered fullers on it, I'm too stubborn not to put em on there.

Last edited:
I think the guy doing what you're asking about is Ben Tendick (sp).
I think his username on here is Benr. t or something similar...

Back