Fresh off the Grinder

opaul

I was having my morning cup of coffee when I thought I'd grab a sketch pad and draw a knife. This is the result. I cut it out, profiled it, rough grind, heat treat and quench, tempered (twice) and did the finish grinding. 3/16" 1084 with a 4.5" tang and a 4.5" blade. I have not sharpened it yet. Haven't picked out the scale compliment yet. Scotch belt and gator belt finish.

Last edited:
You are a machine! That swedge looks awesome.
I don't know about that john! :)
Thanks for the compliment. I think I may round the edges off a bit. But other that sharpening I'm calling it good to go.
I'm really not sure what style of knife this might would be called?

That is a very nice design with clean, crisp lines.
Thanks DanF. This is the upward limit of knife size for me. Not sure I would want to go any longer. But it was fun. Getting the right combo of scale material is going to make or break it so to speak. I'm leaning more towards micarta, but not finalized on that yet.

Opaul what do you finish grind to??
I take it to 120 grit and then use the gator belts and then the scotch bright belt. On this one I did take the flats to 220 and then went back with the scotch bright belt. I really don't care for a lot of hand sanding. :) The only hand sanding I'm planning on this one is to round off the swedge edges.

Back