Frame handled Feather Fighter.

Fred Rowe

Frame handled Feather.

OAL 8 1/2 inches

Blade steel 220 layers 1084X15n20 feather pattern.

Handle is of frame construction using copper black G10 with snake wood scales.

This is my fourth knife of the year. I'm not noted for my blazing speed.

DSC02027.JPG

DSC02017.JPG

DSC02018.JPG

DSC02019.JPG

DSC02031.JPG

DSC02033.JPG

Last edited:
Fred, Very nice job! Just looks like it is missing something without some type of guard.

"No guard" was the objective, with the hot blued feather pattern blade "sprouting" from the frame based handle.The grinds are perfect down the edge and along the false edge. I wanted no obstructions from tip to butt. Nothing to interrupt the view down the handle and along the spine and down the edge.
I actually drew, this blade with different types of guards to start, round, long S, short S and others. Nothing was inspiring.

I could have gone with the standard ABS approach, but I've seen a bunch of those using this blade style. How about something different, work outside the box.

Visit this page again Raymond and look at this blade a few more times; in the end I think you'll agree :)

Regards, Fred

"No guard" was the objective, with the hot blued feather pattern blade "sprouting" from the frame based handle.The grinds are perfect down the edge and along the false edge. I wanted no obstructions from tip to butt. Nothing to interrupt the view down the handle and along the spine and down the edge.
I actually drew, this blade with different types of guards to start, round, long S, short S and others. Nothing was inspiring.

I could have gone with the standard ABS approach, but I've seen a bunch of those using this blade style. How about something different, work outside the box.

Visit this page again Raymond and look at this blade a few more times; in the end I think you'll agree :)

Regards, Fred

Fred, I'm looking at it some more. Out of all the photo's you took I like the second one the most. I'm not noticing the raised clip as much. I've just never been a big fan of the raised clip. I think if you ground off the raised clip it would look much better to me with the handle design you have. :) To me it just doesn't flow the way it is. Now this is coming from an old fart that has lost interest in making for the last 4 months.

Fred, I'm looking at it some more. Out of all the photo's you took I like the second one the most. I'm not noticing the raised clip as much. I've just never been a big fan of the raised clip. I think if you ground off the raised clip it would look much better to me with the handle design you have. :) To me it just doesn't flow the way it is. Now this is coming from an old fart that has lost interest in making for the last 4 months.
I don't like hearing that your interest is waning, you have turned out some spectacular knives in your time and I hope there are more to come. At 70 I understand; it takes more to make it happen these days.

That made me smile, I'm not a big fan of the raised clip, for I am not either, not one bit. I saw one that was knife of the year or something like that; I took a look and wondered what it would look like in hot blued feather. Once I got the blade made I was not going to make another: "I've seen that a hundred times before knife" this was the result. I make most blades for close friends and family these days and so make what is interesting to me.

Hope the fire comes back, I'd send you some but its in short supply around here as well, you've still got some great knives left in you.

Thanks for your comments and thanks for coming back for a second look.

Regards, Fred

Sometimes you just have to do something different just to do it. I like it a lot but I'm a sucker for damscus and a clip point

That Damascus is stellar!
I know less than most of the above posters have forgotten,
But that steel makes me happy.
Dozier

Sweet Damascus and handle.
I like it just how it is! I will only be 55 in a bit over a week! I need to find some other old farts that still have the fire burning to hear from! LOL :3:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back