Found a cool homemade vise online

52 Ford

I was looking at vises on the interwebs - as one does - and found THIS.

Kinda weird... but I like it. I think the jaws are made from pieces of large diameter pipe that wad flattened and bent towards the actual jaw pads.

Attachments

• 305946-2bd36aaaa6aa8483d3c69ad42f275fd0.jpg
    305946-2bd36aaaa6aa8483d3c69ad42f275fd0.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 41
The place I used to work at was going to throw this franken-monster out a few years ago, it had a lot of slop in the lead screw and needed some TLC in a few other places.
I cut a section of the screw out that had stripped threads and welded it back together. it came out nice and man it's heavy.:D

9eDHC8O.jpg

F1XlLXU.jpg

Zw0Wnxa.jpg

ULT9pGz.jpg

404tsmR.jpg

Mi5O4Ia.jpg

If you feel the need for "Vise Envy". Find "Fireball Tool" on YouTube. He has made the 2 most impressive "shop made" vises that I know of.

His BIG vise is MASSIVE.

You NEED to see it.

I don't remember seeing this exact video, but yeah... big vise

Here's another pic with the new jaws, I had to mill them on an angle because this whole beast is wonky from the bottom up, but it works good now.:D
OgzMCsU.jpg
Man, that's really cool.

Looks like a pretty big vise, too!

Edit: they used some serious plate steel, too. Ain't bending that cold unless you have a HUUUUGGE press.

If you feel the need for "Vise Envy". Find "Fireball Tool" on YouTube. He has made the 2 most impressive "shop made" vises that I know of.

His BIG vise is MASSIVE.

You NEED to see it.

I don't remember seeing this exact video, but yeah... big vise
That thing's awesome. Uncle Fester could use that for popping his headaches.

Man, that's really cool.

Looks like a pretty big vise, too!

Edit: they used some serious plate steel, too. Ain't bending that cold unless you have a HUUUUGGE press.
It's big, I'm guessing it weighs around 80#.
I don't know how old it is but the place it came out of has been in business since 1925, that part of the building was getting torn down and replaced and I snagged it. they were just going to toss it in the dumpster.

Nice save. Industrial salvage is just really cool in general. Better when it's something you can actually use in the shop..

Amazing the stuff big companies throw out. I mean, I get it, it probably cost more to save it than it does to buy new (plus they can write it off).

Back