forging question

loftin

Hello, I am a newb.anyway I am in the boat business and I have alot of bronze and nickle-bronze marine salvage fittings that I think I could use for guards,butt caps etc. Can you forge weld this stuff or heat and shape with a hammer. thanks

I have never heard or read about someone heating and shaping bronze and was trying to get some pointers before attempting it myself. I know it melts at much less temp. than I heat treat steel. I like the way it looks and resists the elements

You can forge it to shape but you have to heat it up till it gets red hot and then quench it in water. That will soften it enough to hammer but it work hardens the more you hammer it so you'll have to reheat and quench several times. You don't want to go past a red heat our it will melt so be careful.

Hello, I am a newb.anyway I am in the boat business and I have alot of bronze and nickle-bronze marine salvage fittings that I think I could use for guards,butt caps etc. Can you forge weld this stuff or heat and shape with a hammer. thanks

I don't think you can but ;) I know I can:D. Got any for sale, I use bronze in a few knives and looks good.

i have all kinds of parts..through hulls, various pipes and props. I dont think they would be worth sending with shipping prices. Do you use any type of flux when forge welding bronze or ni-bral together ? Learning process will be interesting

Back