Forging in a Garage

GeorgiaDoc

So I have a hobby machine shop in my detached garage. I am looking to build a forge. My garage has 9 ft ceilings and unfortunately due to a few circumstances I won't be able to really move the forge outside to work. Does anyone else forge in their garage and do you have any issues with ceiling getting hot? And if so how do you handle? If the whole thing is a bad idea, Ill welcome that advice too. I have figured out how to separate the forging from anything else with welding blankets. Thanks in advance for any help. And if this is posted in the wrong forum, please advise and move if necessary.

I have forged in my garage with an Atlas forge . I don't know exactly how high my ceilings are, but probably 8-9 feet. I've never had a problem with heat. But I open the garage door at least 6" and turn on a fan to make sure I have adequate ventilation. As Steve mentioned you need to watch out for carbon monoxide.
The main thing is adequate ventilation. If you surround your forge with welding blankets you will have a problem. And you will definitely have heat build up.
Can you post pics of the space you are considering using? It might give us a better idea of whether it's suitable or not.

I have a CO / Explosive Gas alarm in my shop. When I run the propane forge in the winter it will frequently go off and then I open the doors.

Attachments

• 20221120_120929.jpg
    20221120_120929.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I don’t think the height is a problem. At least not right away. You’d have time to run it and watch it for awhile.

For some reason i can’t edit my posts.
As an afterthought you can also deflect the heat somehow from it being concentrated on one part of the ceiling with either a peice of metal or kaowool or both. Those are probably better choices than only sheetrock. And if its just metal keep it from being directly attached to the ceiling. It doesnt deflect like that, just absorb. There’s got to be space. We used to have a woodstove set up like that with regular insulation between the metal and the wall. But I‘m changing that to kaowool during our remodel next summer.
anyway just some thoughts, hope they help

Be careful of your layout. Don't put your anvil where it forces you to turn your back forge. You might end up putting your hip pockets in the dragon's breath.

Doug

Back