Forging Elmax steel.

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
OK this is to funny not to share, Even though at the time I didnt find any humor in what happened, at all!

I am always challenging Jr. to try new things. and to experiment. pushing him and stretching his skill set.. (As any good day should do IMO) And as any kid should he often dont listen to me or takes one part of what I say and then does it his way.. lol God Bless him!

This time I may have went to far.
I had a bar of Elmax stainless steel on my bench and told Jr he needed to sandwich it in between some damascus and make me a san mia bar! Which at the time seemed like a GREAT idea. lol you know, the beauty of damascus with a Elmax core. Man If we pulled that off it would of been awesome. Anyways, This time he listened to my silly suggestions. and put together a stack, of San Mai, and carefully prepared it to go into the forge. After a reasonable soak time he pulled that bar out and took it over to the forging press. Now you might be thinking,,,,,, this dont sound half bad. I gota try that..

DONT DO IT! lol This is where the $HIT HIT THE FAN!!

At the point where the press touched the billet, MOLTEN STAINLESS started shooting out of the bar. spraying all the way across my shop and bouncing off walls, I exaggerate not. It was like someone shot it out of a gun. and then there were little fires caused by it in 3 areas on my shop. Its was kinda scary! Thankfully, no one was hurt. And after it was all over, Jr and I both kinda got a chuckle out of it..

Now, I cant tell you that I wont be pushing him to try some other stupid crazy combination in the near future.. Because I probably will. and I have a feeling one of the combinations one day will be a winner. :) In the mean time.. I think we will stay away from the forge with Elmax!! lol

Has anyone advise as to what the melting point would be on Elmax? and or if it can even be forged let alone forge welded?
yea. I probably should of asked first.. But what fun would that of been? lolol

Thanks guys for all your support and help this year. This community is the best and I count myself as being blessed to be a part of it!
Happy New Year!
Randy

You are lucky that molten steel did not splash on you !!!!! Thats a pretty interesting story . So the Elmax melted and the carbon steel did not .
I guess Elmax is not a high temp steel for sure . Maybe you should try some Cowry X or Y . Both of them make killer sanmai. Fallkniven uses them on some of their sanmai blades . I still cant believe the stainless melted ?? have a good new year buddy, and stay safe ............ Bubba

I couldnt tell you anything about forging it but i heat treated Elmax with a soak time of 15min at 2000deg. the knife ended up fine, held a edge great and is still rolling strong.

Back