Forging bevels

ok with the tips I got here my bevels are looking a bit better...I think another problem I was having was I was hitting the steel way to hard...now I need to practice what the video calls "planishing blows" or something similar...now if I can just find some talent!!!

Thanks a bunch guys!!!

Dave, no one is born with the talent of making knives. These are all skill that one has to learn. As far as hitting the steel way too hard-join the club. It's a basic beginners mistake and one that can sneak back in on you if you're not careful and start pushing a project too hard. I've got a broadseax down in my shop that has some super dings in it that I put there from trying to push forging a large blade, 2.5X22" large. I had to clamp it down to a 2X4 and grind it flat with a sanding disc on an angle grinder and a hand held belt sander before I could transfer it to my 2X72" grinder. I still have one side of the blade to go; my project for tonight.

Besides taking it easier with the hammer, learn to go back over the blade with a flat faced hammer and try to work some of the dings out if they're not too deep. Planishing blows are good for directing the flow of the steel to widen the blade.

Doug

Back