forging again!

soundmind

KNIFE MAKER
Got my forge going again. First time in about two and half years. Its a little bittersweet because I'd rather be doing the aspect of my real job that Covid shut down. But anyway I had some mild winter temps and some time for forging and heat treating. Been inundated with other projects but it warmed up and I decided its time to do this again and put all that other stuff off for a day. Got my alloy banding issue dealt with on some 1075 I had. And knew more of what to expect dealing with forging steel in cold weather. Been about a year since I've been home and under travel restrictions...about time! Gotta a little smithy built and planning to make stationary containers for my quench oils.

I also want to weld cable this summer, but not sure if my forge will reach welding heat and I have a low roof - only about four feet away from the forge? I may need to yet again come up with a different spot for it.

I also need to forge out some rapid tongs I got from Daniel Macina a couple Christmas' ago. All I have is railroad track for an anvil but was thinking to look for videos on ways people take advantage of it's shape (I don't use the flat side (yet)).

Anyway last kind of cool thing is I had some blanks I cut out to make some stock removal knives. They were 80CRV2 and super thick and after the banding issues i had with 1075 decided I'd put them through some of the forging process. I at least forged the ricasso, the bevels, and then was forced to keep the tip down. It was an easy way around my equipment and the cold. I call it the arctic pre-form, ha ha - and now all the aspiring bladesmiths this side of the Kobuk river are doing it.

Thanks for readin! That's one good thing about the forums. Where else can you find someone who would take all that sort of seriously!

I'm in the process of getting my forge set back up after having most of my equiptment stolen. I need to check my forges and get a 40lb propane tank hooked up. I'm thinking about getting a leg vice from a blacksmithing supply house but that would mean that I have to find a way to really mount it securely. Probably need to mount some security cameras in the forge and around the yard.

Doug

I'm in the process of getting my forge set back up after having most of my equiptment stolen. I need to check my forges and get a 40lb propane tank hooked up. I'm thinking about getting a leg vice from a blacksmithing supply house but that would mean that I have to find a way to really mount it securely. Probably need to mount some security cameras in the forge and around the yard.

Doug
camp out in there with a 12 gauge and get rid of the problem. There has been a massive uptick in major theft up here in Washington since the "Pandemic" they don't keep these guys in jail when they do catch them so...

Back