Forging a blade

opaul

I started forging a blade this morning. I don't do a lot of forging but I would like to do more. I just have to get my shop set up and have it more convenient for that type of knife making. Here are the series of photographs I took while forging. I left the blade in the forge to cool off slowly at the end of the forging session.

I'm using a very old plow shear, which I believe is spring steel.

Drawing the tang out.

Tang getting there.

Just about where I want it.

Drawing the blade shape out.

About where I stopped.

This is the final shape and what I will be working with on the grinder.

Last edited:
Looks healthy! I kind of like the profile just as it is. How did grinding go? seems like I don't get my forged blades very flat, cuz I usually run into some grief when grinding them. But,looking great. What are you planning for the handle?

Looks healthy! I kind of like the profile just as it is. How did grinding go? seems like I don't get my forged blades very flat, cuz I usually run into some grief when grinding them. But,looking great. What are you planning for the handle?
It is a healthy knife, its a little over 13" and the blade is coming in around 8". The grinding went well, I really took my time forging and it came out pretty flat so I didn't loose much thickness at the grinder. As far as the handle I'm thinking micarta and corby bolts. Maybe a mix of micarta with G10 liners. Definitely going to put in a lanyard hole. As far as the edge goes I'm planning on a full flat grind.

The forging looks good , I would consider a different stand for your forge . The table looks to be wood and unstable , an accident looking to happen.
The table is aluminum and is quite stable for the work I do, but you have a good point - I really need to get it on a more permanent location.

I think the tip and shape are perfect. It's a well balanced shape.

It's been my experience that changing things midstream doesn't always make stuff better.

Thanks Chris. I may start doing a little more forging. I damaged my old propane hose so I got another one with the braided covering and a new regulator and dial and it works much better than the old one that came with the forge. I used the forge mainly for heat treating until I got the knife kiln

I forge all my big knives like bowies and such. I normally use stock removal for small knives. I forged out a Nata this morning. On some projects like kukris I find it way easier to forge that to shape.

Back