Forgers, What do you think of these gas forges?

I can't be sure without actually using one but my first impression is it would be ok for metal casting or horse shoeing. The flame looks like it creates a massive hot spot right under it and there's no vortex/swirl for even heating.

You're better off with a round body forge with the least amount of inside volume you can comfortably use for gas economy and even heating. If you don't have welding savy, collect the parts and have someone else weld it. Every forge I've made has had no $$ outlay except for liner and welding wire. I have access to scrap sprinkler pipe and well liner but old propane cylinders will do. I made this one in a couple hours for a forum member with all scrap liner material and pipe .(it even fit in a flat rate box) My first forge years ago was like this. It also depends on what you want to do with the forge. This one won't weld but will reach forging heat and heat treat. Use your imagination.

View attachment 15853View attachment 15854

Rudy

I personally would not recommend that forge on ebay. The round design is good, but the position of the burners screws up the whole thing. You DO NOT want a forge where the burners are directed on the work piece. The whole idea behind round forges is to set the burners up at a tangent so the flame with "swirl" in a pattern that matches the inside of the forge. If you look at the images on that ebay forge, especically the one with it burnings, you can plainly see that the burner flames are would be directed right at whatever you put in it.....you can also see the hot and cold spots. That's not a big deal if your working on mild steel like horseshoes or mild steel for ornamental items, but you can really mess up high carbon and alloy steels in the type of forge.

Thanks guys.
that's exactly what I was thinking. It seemed like a good price but I had some reservations, mainly the position of the burner and the shape of the chamber. besides that, the forge seems well made.
I'll probably work on building my own but the but the problem is time. I've been taking so many knife orders that I have no time for working on tools. Big problem,huh!
I'm sure things will calm down this winter, I'll have excess time for building a forge and practicing.

I do agree with not an ideal design, however I love mine and was in the same spot, time was an issue. I use it alot but there is a learning curve to hit the sweet spot for what you are doing. Have had decent results. I like that everything is ready to go just hook up lp. If you can wait and build your own do it. I am buying my time until I can build the one that I designed.

I've found all of my materials. I'm going to build an atmospheric gas forge. while I could buy one, I feel I can make a better forge than I can buy. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Thanks everyone.

I've found all of my materials. I'm going to build an atmospheric gas forge. while I could buy one, I feel I can make a better forge than I can buy. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Thanks everyone.

Hey, Busted Knuckles! Did you ever build that forge? I've been reading about Ron Reil's burners the last few weeks and scratching my head about where in this tiny back yard I might set up a forge...

I have a three burner similar to the square one on the bottom , never had any problems , When I use my coal forge I lay the steel right on top of the coals . The secret is to keep it moving . if you notice there is space next to burner to place your work . mine is wider though with room on sides to lean the work on side of forge .

Back