Forged hunter w/ 416 stainless and some premium buckeye burl

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here is my latest commissioned piece. This, I believe, is going to be a raffle prize at a stock show. I had the opportunity to put some of the suggestions and critique from the last hunter I posted to use.

I put more of a curve in the heel of the blade instead of a straighter dropped heel. The customer specified a 'guardless' design so I thought that would look nice.

Also took Kevin Jones' suggestion and used some 416 stainless instead of german silver. I really like how it works and polishes. A little tougher to fit up right but well worth it in the end, IMO.

Specs:
Hand forged from 1075 steel, clay quenched and etched
8" overall, 4" blade w/ 3 5/8" sharp, .190" at the ricasso with nice distal taper
Heavily rounded spine and ricasso edge for comfort
416 stainless collar
Stabilized buckeye burl handle

All comments and discussion encouraged. :)

Very nice! The hamon came out beautiful. Love your choice of wood for the handle. I love burl woods

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I hereby nominate J. Doyle to be "The King of the Hamon!".

We should make it official and have a vote now. . . if you guys really think it is necessary.

DeMo

Thank you guys. I appreciate all your kind words.

I hereby nominate J. Doyle to be "The King of the Hamon!".

We should make it official and have a vote now. . . if you guys really think it is necessary.

DeMo

This made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that DeMo. :) Too funny.

I'm certainly not the king of hamon. Just when I think I have this stuff sort of figured out, it rises up and humbles me and teaches me how little I really know about it. Every now and then things go just right enough to produce a nice result.

Thanks again guys.

I love the size and style of the knife. Moderate sized hunters just seem right to me : ). The handle burl is exceptional, and the blade treatment beautiful. The stainless collar, well, I just can't decide if I like it or not.

Thank you guys. I appreciate all your kind words.

This made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that DeMo. :) Too funny.

I'm certainly not the king of hamon. Just when I think I have this stuff sort of figured out, it rises up and humbles me and teaches me how little I really know about it. Every now and then things go just right enough to produce a nice result.

Thanks again guys.

I'm sorry but you are the "The King of the Hamon" - I had a vote. 1-0, you won. Congratulations.

DeMo

Beautiful fit and finish John. The heal of the blade looks great and I like how you finish the butt end of the knife, So clean looking..

Very nice looking knife. I really like what you did to the hilt of the knife. Very clean work, and that hamon is outrageous!!

Back