Forged 2 japanese style Tanto

bubba-san

forged these 2 today , please dont notice how thin I got . Lost 50 lbs due to illness. I am getting stronger though .

These 2 are forged from 1075 from aldo . They are only sunobe ( Parly forge blade that just has outline and look of Tanto ) now but, I will work on refining them with small forging hammer maybe 1 lb. Plan on doing the full boat tanto, with traditional fittings and such .

I will post them up as I go through the process . The sori ( curve) is about 1.25 inches on each one

They are about 12.5 inches long . here s a few pics of my concentration camp lookin self , still doing my
thing for as long as I can ... Bubba ............. Like the haircut .

Attachments

• 2 new sunobe Tanto 004.JPG
    2 new sunobe Tanto 004.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 2 new sunobe Tanto 010.JPG
    2 new sunobe Tanto 010.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 2 new sunobe Tanto 009.JPG
    2 new sunobe Tanto 009.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 2 new sunobe Tanto 011.JPG
    2 new sunobe Tanto 011.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 61
  • 2 new sunobe Tanto 015.JPG
    2 new sunobe Tanto 015.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 2 new sunobe Tanto 005.JPG
    2 new sunobe Tanto 005.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 2 new sunobe Tanto 013.JPG
    2 new sunobe Tanto 013.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 2 new sunobe Tanto 014.JPG
    2 new sunobe Tanto 014.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 65
Nice , That anvil look great, I am lusting over anvil alot, I know where some 200 pound anvils but getting married has put a cramp on the buy tools at the moment. Keep up the good work.

Nice , That anvil look great, I am lusting over anvil alot, I know where some 200 pound anvils but getting married has put a cramp on the buy tools at the moment. Keep up the good work.

You can make one from a piece of big I beam , Usually found in junk yards . Use the ( I) shaped portion to forge on .
Just put it in big bucket and pour concrete that has lots of latex additive ( concrete glue) I made one from I beam and it worked great .
Bubba

Nice. I really like your "small" anvil.

That anvil is a 500lb Peter wright that was Originally used in shipyard . I got it from Tom Clark school of blacksmithing in Steelville , Mo.
After tom Passed away .

Attachments

• tom Clark forging.jpg
    tom Clark forging.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for posting your work and the pic of Tom. I bought 2 air hammers from Tom and took his hammer class in Potosi 10+ yrs ago. He was a good guy.
John

Wow , I missed the boat when they sold all the Saymaks . I also took his air hammer class. I would do almost anything for one of his air hammers . One guy bought them all , and raised the prices .. Oh well you snooze you loose . your right Tom was a great person I lived down the road a couple miles from him. I still miss his old self ... too bad he was one of the best ... James

Keep up the GREAT work - I'm always impressed with your work. Truly museum quality.

Ken H>

Bubba-San,
Great looking work! Its great to see you out in the shop forging. You are a little on the thin side but I'm sure with more forging excersize and your wife Tracy's cooking you will be back to your old self soon!

Bubba question for you. Does hanging them to cool help prevent warp from uneven cooling of the steel. Just curious because I occasionally have an issue with knife blades I forge that look straight but later when I go back they are very crooked. Was thinking maybe it was from setting them on my extra anvil too cool off may have been the culprit.

Great looking blades by the way.

Back