Forge opinions

WY_Not

Anyone have any opinions, good or bad, regarding the 3 Burner Knifemaker Deluxe by Majestic Forge over in Sugar Grove, OH? Or any of their forges for that matter.

Personally, I wouldn't have one of those, but that's an opinion, and as most things, its relative. That being said, if you're just doing general blacksmith type work, with mild steel, it would be OK. If you're Bladesmithing (which I assume you are), it's just not even in the same ballpark as a circular style forge. I've said it a number of times, but any forge that is square or rectangular in design, with burners that come in at right angles, is just settling for far less then you could have with a circular design.

The reason you see so many of the "square" shaped forges is because they are easy and cheap to build....which is often reflected in the sale price(s).... usually much less expensive then circular designs. The difference being that the frustration and drawbacks of the "square" design costs you far more then the extra money you would put out for a decent circular forge.

I'm with Ed on this, those types of forges are not made for knife making. With the flame coming straight down on your work you're going to get more decarb and they're going to cause hot spots while heat treating your blades. Hot spots are going to cause warping. I know that that's the type of forge you're going to see on Forged in Fire but that's just what the producers were able to find to outfit their shop with. It's better, and usually cheaper, to build your own circular forge with a burner that enters at a tangent.

Doug

Actually found them and was looking at them because of the price and because they are only an hour an a half up the road so could be picked up rather than shipped.

Thanks for the input guys. Between this and the posts over in Ed's thread, I'll keep looking.

I would like to chime in here just a bit if I may . I started out grinding my blades but all along my goal was to forge , I don't built a lot of knives so each one is a slow and steady process to completion. I purchased a 3 burner Majestic designed for the knife maker , to be honest I see little design change except in volume among their different forges , I picked the Majestic because it was cheep and I did not want to spend a ton on something I was not sure about and at my age I wanted to be sure it fit my lifestyle. Now that I have some experience I would definetly go with a circular forge , they heat more evenly and no hot spots . With that being said I will probably be having a 3 burner Majestic for sale in the future.

Check out the attachments at the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com for instructions on how I like to build a gas forge and get a good, long lasting, efficient forge. I believe that you can build a superior forge for less money and it is not all that difficult.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

Wayne has alot of great info on his page about how to and sells the supplies to build the forge also. An old freon bottle can be gotten for little cash. An angle grinder and a cut off wheel can open it up and make a perfect set of doors.
Research a little and you will find alot of info on here and else where on how to build one.

Getting closer...

Getting closer...

Got an anvil for Christmas! Have not had time to take any pictures or even unband it from the pallet. About 150 lb.

I've got all the pieces except for a burner (or two) for a fire brick forge. Going to base the build off the fire brick forge on Zoeller Forge website (http://www.zoellerforge.com/firebrickforge.html). Have enough bricks to make it two bricks in length rather than one and use two burners instead of one. Also not sure if I'll leave them perpendicular as shown on the site or angle them a bit to mix the heat up a little. I am not ignoring the advise given here regarding a round forge... Just going with what I can get started with the quickest and then work on upgrading later.

Any suggestion regarding burner angled vs perpendicular, forge build, or burner source would be a great help. I've been doing lots of reading and research on various burners as well as on how to build them. Would much prefer simply buying an assembled burner over trying to cobble one together. Can build one down the road once I become much more familiar with what I actually need. Right now I'm looking for an efficient atmospheric burner so I can start pounding on metal in the garage rather than waiting and going to open forge night at the local club.

Congrats on the new anvil! If it's a "good" one, it'll last you a lifetime.

Burner angle is pretty much irrelevant in that type of forge.... anywhere you place it, it will cause "hot" and/or "cold" spots. I would just place it as they show....that's about as good as you'll get.

Thanks much for the insight on burner angle. Wasn't sure if putting a bit of an angle on the burner so that it hits a sidewall rather than directly on the metal would make any difference. But then it is a small chamber so pretty much everything is directly on the metal.

Anvil should be a good one. It is a used one but seems to be in pretty good shape. Dad is a life long machinist (just retired before Christmas actually) and his attitude with tools, and most stuff, is "buy once, cry once". Now that the holidays are over I should be able to catch my breath this weekend and give it a good inspection. Need to dig up a big ball bearing.

You are a bad influence. hehe Just ordered two of the 30k burners with regulators. Can always re-use them when I get the time to build a better forge.

That is some seriously quick shipping. Ordered them Friday. They shipped Saturday. Arrived Monday.

Getting closer!

As you know from this thread and others... been gathering pieces and tools for a while now. Plan is to start with a designed based off the fire brick forge on Zoeller Forge website (http://www.zoellerforge.com/firebrickforge.html). Made some significant progress last weekend on assembly.

Have the firebricks. Not the right kind but they'll do. And, they are what I had access to. They are the harder fire bricks rather than the soft ones.

Have the refractory cement

Have the burners. Two Atlas 30k burners thanks to Justin's bad influence. hehehe Plenty of propane tanks.

Bottom frame is assembled. Top frame is assembled. Top and bottom crossbars are assembled.

Need to drill large holes in the top firebricks and top crossbars. Then, attach burner holder. Then, attach crossbars to frames. Then, give the interior a good coating of refractory cement. Couple of wingnuts on the uprights will then keep every thing snug.

Welds are pretty ugly but they'll hold. And, I'm working on getting to where I can heat up metal and pound on it not becoming a welder. :3:

View of front of forge...
img_0152-jpg.380275

View of the back of forge...
img_0154-jpg.380276

View of the bottom crossbars, uprights, and feet...

img_0153-jpg.380277

Last edited:
Not sure. They are showing up on my screen but I'm on a computer not a phone.

IMG_0152[1].jpgIMG_0154[1].jpgIMG_0153[1].jpg

They showing up now?

Well, some small progress last night. Found a vise that fit my drill press. Got the holes drilled into the two top firebricks and also got the pilot holes drilled in the two top plates. Thought I had a 7/8" drill to finish the holes in the top plates but no luck finding it in the tool boxes. Will have to get one bought or borrowed.

Still need to...

• finish drilling the holes in the top plates - DONE
  • drill and tap holes in the pipes to hold the burners - DONE
  • weld the holders to the top plates - DONE
  • mud the interior of the forge with the refractory cement - DONE
  • assemble - brick and frame pieces - DONE
  • assemble - plumbing
  • hook up gas and test fire

I'll get there eventually.

Last edited:
Back