Forge Lining Question ??

Three Sisters Forge

Forum Owner-Moderator
Any Rx on cement to use. Just refreshing my info.

I use Satenite or Mizzou. The Mizzou is thicker and crunchy, but seems to hold up very well. It is listed as a refractory "castable" lining, but I use it to line insalwool.

Any suggestions ?

I did several layers of satanite to secure the kaowool lining. Then I used the Mizzou to lay a more durable and flux resistant floor. I've got a page on my website where I documented the lining process I went through for my forge (in the Shop Tour page) if you're interested.

You can do a forge entirely out of mizzou, but I think it would be much heavier (though durable), and also have a lot more thermal mass to heat up. So you may see longer heating times needed. The satanite at about 1/4" thick heats up quickly and radiates the heat back pretty well.

--nathan

Last edited:
I prefer Kast-0-Lite 3000. This is a light weight, insulating castable with good resistance to flux. It has a much better thermal conductivity rating than Mizzou castable. I cast about 1" thick. I sell 6# bags for $15.00 each. I also recommend that this be cast over a 1" layer of Inswool, which I sell for $7.00 a running foot (2 foot wide). Then paint over the casting with Plistix which is an infrared reflecting product. Similar to ITC 100 but much cheaper. I sell the Plistix for $9.00 a pint. Plistix will make the forge heat up faster and heat metal faster. In a forge I built it cut heating to forging temperature in half therefore cutting propane use in half. After a full day of forging I can touch the outside of my forge. Building a forge this way keeps the heat and most infrared rays inside the forge where they are needed.

See my tutorial on the Tutorial Forum about building Gas Forges.

Last edited:
What do you think about using Mizzou over the inswool ? I have been using this to coat the entire inside. It is thick & chewy, but holds up well.

Mizzou is a "castable", but seems to go on fine if put on thick.

I do a layer in the bottom 1/4, let dry and then rotate, apply until entire inside is covered. This way the cement is always on the "bottom" no slump and I can get an even coat.

I lined my last gas forge with Mizzou over three layers of 1" 8lb ceramic fiber insulation. It has held up well even with a couple of experiments in forge welding that splattered borax all over the inside. It heats up quickly with one blown burner. The frame of the fire box is a large mailbox.

Doug Lester

I lined my last gas forge with Mizzou over three layers of 1" 8lb ceramic fiber insulation. It has held up well even with a couple of experiments in forge welding that splattered borax all over the inside. It heats up quickly with one blown burner. The frame of the fire box is a large mailbox.

Doug Lester

Gotta show us pictures my friend.

Back