Forge complete, a couple of questions

Thunter124

179655_1826601187246_1306791570_2191843_214170_n.jpg

A couple of questions for yall who have made a venturi set up before. For the first firing I was able to work it down to where it will run on 5 psi of pressure with either 1 or 2 burners running, is it favorable to run on higher psi or lower?

It will depend on what gives you the heat and the atmosphere that you want. Adjusting the pressure is the only way you have of regulating the fuel flow with a venturi burner.

Doug Lester

So basically at this point, no guides to proper use, and I get to start figuring it out. Sounds like a plan, need to get the IR coating in and I'll get back to working it.

Well, one good thing about this thread, we now know what Hunter looks like, I guess, and his shop. I see that you shop at Harbor Freight and that you have 2 Z Burners from Larry. I like that you capped the ends of the forge to protect the Inswool and the color of the interior of the forge looks good. You should be getting some good heat out of that baby!

lol, we have allot of harbor freight tools, I need to figure out how to convert that press to work with different fullers, this 1-3/8" diameter bar is going to take allot of hand work otherwise. The only problem I have with the capped ends right now Is I cut the blankets too thin and there is a gap between the cap and the blanket, so I may need to get another bag of the cast-o-lite to fix that. I got the plistix coating in today, one question on it wayne, how thick does the layer need to be?

and on the burner flares, I got a fair bit of discoloration on them the first lighting of the forge, should I work the nozzles back farther in the attaching pipes, or is this normal?
168767_1836855563583_1306305885_2151817_3595063_n.jpg

I just mix up the bag to a soupy consistancy and then paint it on until it is all gone. Yes, your flares will discolor. They should back in the casting about a 1/4". I pack Inswool around the burner tube to keep the drafting of heat back up along the burner. It is also a good idea to plug the end of the burner (air inlet) when the forge is turned off to keep the heat from drafting back inside the burner tube. I leave the plug in place when lighting the forge. You will get a soft fluffing flame when it ignites,,,, then stand back and pull the plugs out.

Back