Forge burner location

malignity

I'm building my forge tomorrow! Kaowool outer layer, thin layer of 3000° furnace cement, and a layer of plistix once I order some from Wayne.

Quick question, where do I put my burner? It'll be 8" long, 4" diameter. Right in the middle of the 8" section, or more near the rear?

Also, does the enterence to the burner go parallel with the the top of the forge? I want to avoid a hot spot right under the burner if possible.

Using an atlas mini burner.

Thanks!

Over the years I've come to understand that burner placement is generally the most critical aspect of building a forge. For the size forge you mentioned, I would place the burner centered if the design is horizontal. More important then whether its centered or not, is the angle the burner enters the forge.

Here's how I have mine setup. (This is one of my small/general purpose forges) The shell of this forge is 20+ years old. At first I had the burner nearly 90 degrees to the forge body....but I did a lot of experimenting, and found its current position works best for me.

Thank you Ed. I thought I remember reading something like that to avoid a hotspot, so the flame swirls around, but I couldn't remember where I read it. Half these sites I'm reading with great ideas claim I can quench in used motor oil, and I'd rather take your word for it over the weekend warrior blacksmith. It's hard to keep track of credible sources.

Wherever its placed there has to be a place inside the forge where you can place the blade to heat and be out of the direct flame at the same time

Back