Forge building ?'s

ChipI.

I am working on making myself a gas forge from a refrigerant tank , I am planning on using the mini-mongo style burner (all of this I got from Ron reil's website). My ? is do I need a flare for the burner? I am sure the answer to my ?'s are on Ron Rel's website but it is VERY easy to get lost in all the information on his site.

Also the burner calls for 13/16ths holes, how exact does that need to be ? Can I get away with 3/4"holes .
Thanks for any help,Chip

If it were me, I'd follow the design. I think even RR admits that things have evolved on the design front. Don't rule out the modified sidearm burner design, very simple and no tuning headaches. Check out the zoellerforge website for another option on burner and forge builds, as well as Darren Ellis' for ideas and materials.

Good luck with it, Craig

I have not had a chance to work on my forge since this post,but once I can get back at it I sure will post pics.
I will definetly check out Indian George's tuitorial and I will go back to ron reil's page and review the side arm burner.
Thanks alot for the tips.

Chip
Try the 3/4" holes, they might just work. If not just take a file to them.
Having built the Ron Reil 3/4" burner for my first forge, I thought I'd build the Mini Mongo for the new forge since it is considerably larger. I changed it a bit by using a Tweeko .45 tip instead of drilling a #57 hole in a pipe cap, elongated the 13/16" holes to 13/16" X 1-1/2" slots, and I added a sliding sleeve as a choke. I also made a flare.
The results were scary. I need at least 5 lb. pressure to make it run decently. The choke ends up about with about a 13/16" opening (so the choke, & slots were not needed). It does run better with the flare, but I think if you flared the inner hole into the forge it might work also.
I mean scary in that I don't really want to melt my forge. At 5 lb pressure it shoots a flame out about a foot. At 10 lb it shoots out about 18" (remeber this is out of a 1-1/4" pipe), and sounds like a Jet taking off.
I'm dropping back, and am going to try a couple of sidearm burners. If they don't get me up to welding temp I can always stick the monster back in.
Bob

Looking at Indian Georges' forge now I have a question. Would adding a blower alow me to run at lower pressures, and have more control over the temperature?
Bob

Bob
I have not used a side arm burner so I cannot comment on it. But from what I have read and been told, the blown forge uses less fuel to operate. Getting the proper blower (quite) will make a big difference.

Regardless of what heat source you decide on, pay attentio0n to your forge inside measurements and use proper insulation. Ive seen too many folks try to heat too large a space with too little a heat source. Are you planning on doing much forge welding? Lots of good info on here, ask as many questions as you need to make things clear.

Good Luck and God Bless
Mike

Bob, running a blown burner will allow you to run higher temps at lower pressures with complete control of the forge atmosphere (needle valve for the gas and gate valve for the air).

--nathan

IG, I can hit 2000F at 1 psi. I haven't had it up to 2500, but I don't think it will take much more ;). Gotta love power-adders (a hang-up from my old hot-rodding days :D ).

--nathan

Course, I was always a naturally aspirated guy in the hot rod days. Maybe that's because I couldn't afford a blower :D. A forge blower is a lot cheaper than a Vortech or Powerdyne, so I'm all about it :).

--nathan

I have no problem reaching 2300 with my naturally aspirated forge. It's the lower temps for heat treating that I have trouble with.
Bob

Thanks for all this info everybody. I need all I can get:)

Indian George, is there some guidelines to picking out a blower?(how big, how many cfm's )
thanks,Chip

Thanks for all this info everybody. I need all I can get:)

Indian George, is there some guidelines to picking out a blower?(how big, how many cfm's )
thanks,Chip

For a 8" diameter forge I like a blower 80cfm or over. I use furnace blower that you can get on Ebay. Since I am not a full time Damascus maker, they work well for me.
To bad you didn't live closer I would show you how to build a forge.:eek::D

Back