For folks with Uncle Al's press????

Dan Graves

I have one of his presses and when making Damascus it makes the billet smear the steel sideways. In other words if you had a deck of cards on a table and you pushed one edge it would make the cards still stacked but would no longer be a rectangle. I hope this is making sense. The billet ends up being a TRAPEZOID. Is anyone else having this problem and is there something I am doing wrong?

I've never used a press, but it sounds to me like it is "out of square". One side is either making contact before the other or is pressing harder than the other. Is it possibly binding on one side?

No it is not binding and I think something may be out of square too. Like to hear from someone who has one. Thanks.

Mine does that when the dies need to be resurfaced or there is slack in the clamps to the "I" beam allowing it to move over when pressed down hard. I beams flex just alittle too. "H" frame presses dont seem to have this trouble. I think your best fix is to regrind the die faces to compensate or to re-true them.

Thanks Bruce. My dies are just a little worn and maybe that is all it takes. Will resurface them and see how that works.

Back