Folder Blade Pin Vise Prototype

cnccutter

I was grinding away this morning with my blade held in a pare of ViseGrips and thought there had to be a better way. after a bit of head scratching I came up with this prototype pin vise. I brazed a Carbide pads on the front after seeing the nice carbide file guides that Bruce Bump makes (which I missed out on). after grinding two blades all I can say is why didn't I do this earlier. the vise holds the blade way better than the ViseGrips with much better control of the blade angle with NO marring of the pivot point and the carbide on the front doesn't even hardly show a shine after being shoved right up against the Blaze belts. I wish I had spent a little more time on the prototype and then I wouldn't have to think about it again... HA

Erik

Attachments

• eriks pin vice 2.jpg
    eriks pin vice 2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 105
  • eriks pin vice.jpg
    eriks pin vice.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Chuck, I had the same thought, but was thinking I'd just knurled the shaft for the better grip. I also think I'll buy a little larger Carbide. I used what I had on hand and it works fine, but it would be nicer a bit taller.

Erik

I think that you should make the next one with a square handle so it will be less likely to turn in your hands.

I'd love to see an exploded view so that I could better understand how this works. I've thought a similar arrangement would make grinding folder blades much easier.

JC, the vise is pretty simple. as you can see in the photo, I just have a hole through both pieces with the hole in the handle threaded. as you tighten the screw, the outer piece is sucked in. I added a small step on the handle for the floating jaw to pivot off of and give a more even clamp.

Erik

vise exploded resize.jpg

I'd love to see an exploded view so that I could better understand how this works. I've thought a similar arrangement would make grinding folder blades much easier.

Thanks for sharing Erik. So the friction between the faces keeps the blade from moving? Nice and simple. I don't know why I always try to over complicate things.

Back