Florida hurricanes....

It is unreal what the power of the wind and the storm surge can do! I have seen the pics you speak of and I have my doubts that was wind but, rather storm surge. When that wall of water comes in, the result is unreal.

Let me say I went back and looked at the pics link I posted yesterday and I realize that some of that is not from this hurricane.

The company I worked for used to work on a 40 unit complex directly on Pensacola Beach. They were built back in the 60's and they were block walls on a concrete slab. Originally when built they were about 2 1/2 football fields, or more from the water. Over the years hurricanes and beach erosion brought them to within about 1/2 of a football field In between the high tide and their back doors.

In between hurricane Erin and Opal (approximately a three month period) we were in the process of rebuilding several of the units! These units when built they poured a slab out behind each unit for their picnic tables and such!! Remember this was the 60's and they did not understand the beach as they do today!! Anyway back to those slabs behind the unit I spoke of. The units were about 20 foot wide and so the concrete had one seam in them! Being on the sand they had poured the slabs very thick. They were about 8" thick and had an outside footer that varied from 12" -18" thick. When Erin came in the wave action undermined those slabs, and then it flipped them up against the building. Some of these broke at those seams! That slab acted as a D-8 bulldozer and actually went thru the buildings and took out the entire bottom story on one side of the unit and ended up out anywhere from 20' 40' from the front of the building. In some cases both slabs came thru the building and took out everything causing a collapse of the second story of those units!
I remember in one unit 1/2 of the slab came thru unit on the one side and wiped out the stairwell to the second story, which took out most of the kitchen. However on the other wall the cabinets still hung partially off the wall and they were loaded with dishes and glasses still stacked in the cabinets.
I use to have a picture of my boss sitting in the kitchen area and he was actually sitting on the top of the refrigerator like a chair. We had to start at the front of the buildings and dig out approximately 5' of sand just to get down to slab so we could gut the walls out of those units. After Opal they tried to make them tear down those units! They set vacant for nearly two years and no one allowed to begin reconstruction. Due to a new law that said if 50% or more destroyed they could not go back like they were, on a slab! About 18 months into the process, between the insurance companies and the state and federal (that beach is under a federal jurisdiction as well as state and local regulations, because it is considered a barrier island)! After Ivan they went down and now they are all up on concrete pilings.

I was working on restoring them again when I got hurt in the five car pile-up on the interstate one morning on the way to work! That wreck injured my back badly. However I continued to work after the wreck for about 3 months, on the beach. I came home one night after working a normal 10 - 12 hours day, and could not get out of my truck, after sitting during the 45 min. plus drive. I blew the horn and my wife had to help me into the house, about a 20 minute process. One failed back fusion later and a few years and that beach has changed so much from when I use to work out there!!

Just to show you here is a list of hurricanes since 1978 ( when I moved back here after I got out of service) till now to hit Florida.
David Category 2 hurricane September 3 1979 Elena Category 3 hurricane September 1 1985 Kate Category 2 hurricane November 21 1985 Floyd Category 1 hurricane October 12 1987 Andrew Category 5 hurricane August 24 1992 Erin Category 2 hurricane August 3 1995 Opal Category 3 hurricane October 4 1995 Earl Category 1 hurricane September 3 1998 Georges Category 2 hurricane September 25 1998 Irene Category 1 hurricane October 15 1999 Charley Category 4 hurricane August 13 2004 Frances Category 2 hurricane September 5 2004 Ivan Category 3 hurricane September 16 2004 Jeanne Category 3 hurricane September 26 2004 Dennis Category 3 hurricane July 10 2005 Katrina Category 1 hurricane August 25 2005 Rita Category 1 hurricane[notes 3] September 20 2005 Wilma Category 3 hurricane October 24 2005 Hermine Category 1 hurricane September 2 2016 Matthew Category 2 hurricane[notes 3] October 7 2016 Irma Category 4 hurricane September 10 2017 Michael Category 4 hurricane[notes 2] October 10 2018 Source: Chronological List of All Hurricanes which Affected the Continental United States: 1851-2012[1]

Here is the link to the entire list of hurricanes that I was looking at!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_hurricanes#Virginia

Now not all of them affected us but, there is probably another 10 -12 that did effect us in our area and they won't be listed because the eye went into another state and these listings are by the state where the eye made landfall!! This is the price you pay for living in paradise!!

I just watched a piece on the weather channel last night saying that these recent storms are in a directly correlating to Global Warming and if we do not do something to reduce the effects of Global Warming, by the year of 2030. The weather patterns are going to get to the point of utter destruction!!
Leave it to the weather channel to scare the crap out of you. However is undeniable that we were 10+ degrees hotter this year just before this storm than our normal and the heating of the land has a big influence on how hot that Gulf is.

OK so I have rambled long enough today!! But I could tell you a lot of stories about hurricanes that unless you have seen it you would not believe the destruction and odd things that hurricanes can do!!

Last edited:
Steve, have you found out anything new on your property in the panhandle?? Did your house fair OK??

Yes, my closest neighbor about half a mile away cut thru some farms to get to his place. my other neighbor used his tractor and cut-pushed his way over to him. with two tractors, two chainsaws and twelve hous later they were able to clear a path down the dirt road to my place and then to the county paved road. he said my place looks pretty good, a little vinyl siding missing but it's in one piece and the roofs ok and no broken windows. my Coachman RV is still upright. he said it's a big mess with trees down everywhere. I'm going up next week to start cleaning up, I got a good tractor and a good chainsaw just need to bring diesel and gas.

You know it's funny, I staked and ribbened where the house was going and told the wife all these trees you see here are going. we argued a lot about that but I won. I had a timber company I used previously come in and take about 130 pines, about 110' tall, while they were there I had them take two more rows out. there were no trees within 120' of the house.
I think that paid off and I'm glad I did it.

I don't expect the electricity to be back on for 2-3 weeks in that area.
My neighbors are roughing it and hopefully I can bring them something that's unavailable to them there.

Good to hear Steve. Yeah they put out a statement here that the combined power companies would have power back up and running to about 95% of the Panama City area, by weeks end next week!!

I sit there a second and said to my self there is no way! Then the released the statement in writing came out and, it is worded a bit different from what went out over the news!

It states we will no be able to deliver power to the area. Where there is no working power lines or the grid has to be rebuilt. These areas will have to be done on a case by case bases as the roads are cleared and the power grid for that area is rebuilt!!!

I told my wife that was a cruel joke. When you are desperate as those folks are at the moment any bit if good news is a great lift. The way this went out on the news originally had to build them up only to slam them back down. With the realization that most places are still looking at weeks and in some case months to get power or running water again!! The press needs to understand they need to get it right when they put the information out there!

They are now getting into some bad areas and they say it hasn't been released yet but the death toll is rising dramatically!! They have areas that they estimate hundreds stayed and they are having a hard time contacting many of them!! It is so sad!!

my closest neighbor about half a mile away
I like the sound of that!! Wish I had that much room around me to the closest neighbor. I could have a 100 yd (or more) shooting range instead of the 50 yds I've got.

When we moved here my wife and I had the same "discussion" about trees around the house. She got so mad at me she'd cry for a few weeks after because I had them clear so many trees out. Now she's happy about how many trees I had cut.

I think there were two times when hurricanes keep me from having power, once in Texas for 3 or 4 weeks, then Katrina in Mobile, AL I was out of power for a couple of months before the marina was rebuilt and full power. I think we were the last in the area to get power. Something about "boat people" didn't need power? That's what the first Indian to see Columbus in the New World said "Huh, boat people!!" {grinning}

Later

Yea it was a battle with the wife over the trees, with some crying going on...her, not me :D
she see's now it was the right thing to do.
I do have a nice shooting range for rifle and steel gongs for pistols, I love it.
I'm already making plans in my head to do some control burning, buy some pine seedlings and hand plant around the place.
From what I've heard it looks like a bomb went off and the woods are pretty laid out.

After Erin, Opal and Ivan. I pretty much only have three trees close to the house!! The outside of the property line I left about a 12' strip, which allows for some privacy from the neighbors I didn't use to have!!

I will say this you can tell the difference between a tree that went over from the wind, they are usually broke off or laid over in one direction. However when you see a tree twisted off and/or still attached to the trunk up a few feet that was the tornado you just narrowly missed! One went over my house during Ivan. I was sitting there watching the weather on 4" battery powered TV and I thought I heard it. The wife was asleep on the couch. I had just raised my hand to slap her awake, I was gonna tell her to grab the kids and hit the bathroom closet,...…………. and it was gone!!

The next morning I was standing on my front porch looking, and there was a path for at least 3/4 of a mile you could see a trough down thru the woods where all the trees were twisted off and not a leaf left on any tree still standing. I found out I could see a water tower that is about a 1 1/2 miles by the road from me, as the crow flies or as the tornado goes, it is only about 3/4 of a mile from me!! Then I walked around to my back yard and it looked like a bomb had gone off!!!

I heard an unconfirmed report today that they are/may be looking for up too a 100 plus people that they are pretty sure stayed for the storm and they do not know if they made it or not!!! With communications like they are they just don't know!!

Well I came up to my place yesterday and have been non stop chain sawing trees. it took a day and a half just to clear the path where the power lines run into my place, clearing that to hopefully make it a little faster and easier to get new lines in.
The crews are still miles down the road, all the wires and poles are down from the trees and wind.
fortunately my house and rv are ok. the rv was a mess inside so it must have been jumping around a lot.
Out of 30 acres of pines and hardwood trees I lost about half. it looks like a nuclear bomb went off, I'm pretty sure some tornadoes touched down. as I drove up here it just looked worse and worse. I knew it was going to be bad but I wasn't ready for what I saw when I got here, pretty sombering. all my neighbors are ok, with some damage to their places.
So....it's time to just acknowledge the damage, do something with all the downed trees, replant and move on. I feel very fortunate that my only damage was my woods. but none the less it's heart breaking to look at what used to be nice woods now there's hundreds of trees down, or permanatly bent 45 degrees and widow makers everywhere. :(

Sorry you got hit Steve but, like you said it could have been worse. As for tree, firewood or lumber is my suggestion. I traded out my downed pines for use of two different tractors. My buddy has a friend with a wood mizer and he cut up all the pines for rough sawn pine lumber. Ain't you got a mill of your own??
My buddy brought down a trailer and I would cut up the trees and handle them with the tractor. The pines I cut into 12' lengths and then call him and tell him he had a load!! He hauled around 8-10 at a time out of here and if I remember we took out 5 loads. The last one he lost a wheel off of the trailer and he never even knew. I brought the tractor and rake back to him and there sits the trailer I had loaded the logs and it only has three wheels. I asked him what happened to the trailer. Don't know but when I got home with that last load it only had three wheels. It broke the axle at the spindle. I told him that was too much load for that trailer. Funny part about it he never did find the wheel that broke off. Those green pine logs as extremely heavy with the summer sap!! :p

The only mill I got is a chainsaw. All the timber company’s around here are scrambling for their own property’s and really large tracks with hundreds of acres of trees where they can harvest the most trees

The only mill I got is a chainsaw. All the timber company’s around here are scrambling for their own property’s and really large tracks with hundreds of acres of trees where they can harvest the most trees

Steve, Iwas thinking of Anthony (self made knives)! Sorry about I got a case of oldtimers!

Here is a video,
and the thread here on the forum! https://knifedogs.com/threads/one-more-non-knife-video-q-a-about-my-sawmill.47104/#post-364574

Check with your friends and neighbors up at property. It would not surprise me that one of them has a wood mizer saw, or know someone who does!

They are popular in my neck of the woods! It is pretty easy to run them thru one and they will come to you property set-up and when they get done, voila! Useable lumber and a pile of sawdust and culls!!
Just leave your cuts longer that you want the dimensional lumber to become!! I have seen one of the portables around here roll in on a piece of property and when done they had enough lumber to frame up a pole barn!! I have always thought what a shame all the trees that go down during a hurricane they cut them up to haul to the dump!! Dump because they don't want you burning them anymore!! :rolleyes:

There may be one or two of them around here but trust me, whoever has one has enough work for the next ten years.
my nearby neighbors have the same problem as me only bigger...like thousands of trees down.
I'm getting in line with one of the local timber company's, it looks like possibly late Nov. before he can make it to my place...hopefully. I'm going to clearcut about 15-20 acres and replant. I did that to 8 acres about 5 years ago and those trees were to young to break or blow over.
still no electricity, and it doesn't look promising anytime soon. I know one thing, I'm pretty tired from cutting and pushing trees the last few days.
here's a pic. of where my electric wires come in, I got that cleared first.
9hPSUpg.jpg

VjO9NeU.jpg

2rFXgfz.jpg

and here's a picture of my back yard from my roof, used to be so thick no sun would hit the ground.

obCaADd.jpg

there's widowmaker trees all over the place just waiting to come down. it's bad, but thank god my house didn't get damaged. driving around there's no describing it...big time destruction everywhere. lots of houses with trees thru them, barns blown apart and campers flipped over.

There may be one or two of them around here but trust me, whoever has one has enough work for the next ten years.
my nearby neighbors have the same problem as me only bigger...like thousands of trees down.
I'm getting in line with one of the local timber company's, it looks like possibly late Nov. before he can make it to my place...hopefully. I'm going to clearcut about 15-20 acres and replant. I did that to 8 acres about 5 years ago and those trees were to young to break or blow over.
still no electricity, and it doesn't look promising anytime soon. I know one thing, I'm pretty tired from cutting and pushing trees the last few days.
here's a pic. of where my electric wires come in, I got that cleared first.
obCaADd.jpg

there's widowmaker trees all over the place just waiting to come down. it's bad, but thank god my house didn't get damaged. driving around there's no describing it...big time destruction everywhere. lots of houses with trees thru them, barns blown apart and campers flipped over.

This last shot reminds me off my back yard, if you throw in some twisted of ones. Those were from the tornado that came over the house. I know what you are talking about the mizer saw folks being busy. Most of those ain't big enough to get lumber out of! You can stack them just put down some runners were they are not laying directly on the ground. If you stack and still haven't run them thru a mill in 3 months bark them to get rid of the bugs!! The trees we had go down that they got lumber out were anywhere from 20"- 28" or better. I hated to see that old growth go down but at least none of them got the house!!

Those trees are good for lumber, they look small in the picture but their mostly 14-18 inches in diameter, he said I'll get something for the downed trees, not very much, they chip them as use them for fuel at the mill.
the last time he came out I got around $1000. an acre, so I'm just hoping to get enough to pay for land prep and replanting.

Back