Flattening new scales

KentuckyFisherman

Guys, please tell me if my newbie questions need to be started in the Beginners' forum. I'd be happy to do so, but that forum doesn't seem to get much traffic, and I haven't been snubbed here, so I assume I'm OK.

I've recently cut some scales from a block of burl maple. I ran them through my jerky dehydrator for about 24 hours at 95 degrees and the warp has been minimal. Some of the scales, though, do have some warp that I need to sand flat. My question is do you sand the concave side of the scale, the convex side, or a little of both? Seems to me if you try to sand the convex side, the scale is going to rock back and forth, and keeping it from rocking will be tough. If, however, you sand the concave side, the ends will hold things steady and all will be fine. That side can be glued against the tang, and if the other side remains a little curved, that'll get worked out when you shape the handle.

Am I thinking OK here? How do you approach this problem when you get scales that aren't absolutely flat? I'm cutting these scales a little on the fat side to allow for the fact that some may have to be thinned to get them flat. Thanks in advance for the help.

I agree. I think it makes sense to flatten the concave side. I would be concerned that they are not done drying out and may continue to warp, but if they do, there will be less tendency to pull away from the blank out around the edges. And hopefully the pins and glue will keep the middle flat too.

If you want a book match set, I would recommend flattening the inside of the scales first. If you want to make life easier when you are drilling the material for your pins eventually both sides should flat. It's next to impossible too fit scales on a tang if the pin holes are crooked.

If the warp in minimal, like you indicated, I flatten the concave side only. I only need one flat side to affix them. Once they are in place I shape my handle as normal and it takes care of the rest easily.

Just a word of caution, that might save you a lot of grief..... let your natural handle material cure NATURALLY if necessary..... and even if they are not "wet"....if they came to you from a different part of the country (if they had to be mailed/shipped to you) let them acclimate in your shop for at least a couple of months before using them. Way back, when I did not follow that advice, I had natural scales that I thought were good to go, on finished knife/knives, and I shipped them off....only to have the client contact me within a couple weeks and tell me the scales were warping, or some other silly thing that required fixing by me. Return shipping, time, labor, materials, packaging, shipping back...... get the idea? Just don't be in a big hurry to use that new set of natural handle scales, and your life will be a lot nicer.

Just a word of caution, that might save you a lot of grief..... let your natural handle material cure NATURALLY if necessary..... and even if they are not "wet"....if they came to you from a different part of the country (if they had to be mailed/shipped to you) let them acclimate in your shop for at least a couple of months before using them. Way back, when I did not follow that advice, I had natural scales that I thought were good to go, on finished knife/knives, and I shipped them off....only to have the client contact me within a couple weeks and tell me the scales were warping, or some other silly thing that required fixing by me. Return shipping, time, labor, materials, packaging, shipping back...... get the idea? Just don't be in a big hurry to use that new set of natural handle scales, and your life will be a lot nicer.
Really great advice, Ed.

Nothing quite beats a granite block and course sand pater for flattening out surfaces that need to be flat and true.

I really, really appreciate the responses, guys. I look at your knife photos here and your craftsmanship, detail and creativity amaze me. I don't have an in-person mentor, so it really helps that I can come here, even with questions that y'all probably chuckle at. Thank you.

I can only tell you this: I spent a couple of years trying to avoid steps that seemed like extra work. But the day I started flattening and squaring everything, 99% of my headaches went away.

Back