flat acid finish

Rey

A knife maker made some knives from farrier files with an acid flat finish done after tempering. I asked what was the purpose for the acid finish said to keep rust and corrosion off. Being, high carbon files I know the need to keep oil on them is necessary to prevent rust finger prints. Anyone has any info. on this process would be appreciated. Rey in Texas

An acid finish won't keep rust or corrosion at bay......all it does is make it less noticable for a longer period of time. The big difference between a standard satin finish and the acid finish is that rust and corrosion will be more noticable on the satin finish, and easier to fix/clean up. With the acid finish by the time you can see the rust, its very difficult/nearly impossible to clean up.

Is it true that: the finer the finish, the less prone to rust? mirror finish being the least susceptible?-less surface area/porosity or something like that?
thx,
Bill

1372555241237.jpg

I use a forced patina to prep my steel which I follow with a hand polish removing all the oxide to then rust blue my blade. Gives it protection and a very nice dark blue almost black finish. It will rust but takes a lot longer to do so.

Back