fixing a small problem

Steve Randall

I made a sheath for a knife and it came out nice, except for one problem.(This is your basic pouch type sheath and the stitching comes up and over for 2 stitches). The blade is just barely cutting the stitch after some use. I am thinking of placing a brass rivet in the top hole which I think will solve the problem. I am looking for and open to any other suggestions. Also, with a brass rivet, what is a good way to force patina? mustard, vinegar, etc.? Thanks Steve Randall

Steve, not quite sure what you mean by up and over on your stitching, unless you continued your stitching all the way to the very top, which is not needed.Did you not put a welt in? If not, the sheath is not really very safe and the rivet won't help much. Rivets are not necessary in a properly contructed sheath, unless you want them for looks.Patina can be done with ferric chloride (fast) or vinegar(slower).Dave :)

Yes it dose have a welt I miss-judged the placement of the last stitch and was hoping to save the sheath without having to make another one.In the picture, I placed some of the stitching in to show the area I was Talking about. I was looking at a rivet in the top stitch. Thanks for all the responses ....Steve Randall

It wont let me look at it closer but the welt should be so that all the stitches go through it. This way the blade should not cut the stitches without cutting through the welt.

Its hard to tell in the small pic, but it looks like you went one hole too far after that bend in the stitching row at the top.

I'd simply re stitch the sheath and not use the last couple of holes, or us a faux stitch and simple run the thread on either side and not through so your holes dont show.

I dont know for sure that would work, not being able to see the sheath in hand, but it might. Sure better than making a whole new sheath.

I didn't think of using faux stitching that could solve the problem.Would you glue the stitches and/or just wrap them under the welt? Yes that is my problem I went one stitch to far also, could have used a thicker piece of leather for the welt .thank for all the help steve

A good rule of thumb for welting is use a piece that is at least as thick as the spine of the knife, or no thinner than 1/8" if the knife is very thin.

On the stitching, if you start at the tip run the stitching all the way up to the last two or so holes not to be used. Then use the thread on either side to stitch back and fourth. When you get back to the welt simply run them together and back stitch three spaces, cut the thread and your ready to run.

Its hard to describe, so if you have trouble visualizing it just let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

Thanks Leatherman for the tip. I did a faux type stitch and I think it will work out great. I was using a little thicker welt but after some time the knifes didn't seem as snug in the sheath, so thought I would try a thinner welt to hold the knife tighter. live and learn. Thanks Steve

Fantastic! I'm happy it all worked out. :)

Though a thinner welt wont have an effect on how the knife fits in the sheath, rather its how tight you wrap the sheath around the knife. With a pouch sheath is easy to wrap the sheath around the knife and mark where to trim the excess leather.

I found this trick and a few more in a book that my father gave me, I'll look it up and post the name and author. Its a great reference, I hope its not some rare hard to find book.

Back