Fixed Blade Tutorial

Until reading your tutorial, I've always been annoyed by people starting a thread with a link to something they posted elsewhere. Seems kinda lazy or like posting here was an afterthought. BUT... I've got to say kudos in this case. You posted that tutorial on a bow hunting forum and got a lot of them thinking about making their own knives. Maybe one or more even did! That's just good for the hobby. I like that.

Right on. Thanks for the tutorial. :cool:

That was a great tutorial Ryan. I am just starting out making knives. I am on my 6th knife now and the finishing work is where I need the most improvement. I feel like your tutorial filled in a lot of the blanks for me. I have several books on the subject that don't cover finishing as well as you did. Even your tips on roughing out the blades and creating the bevels with files were excellent. I have to admit that I would love to see you put down techniques for using the grinder as well. I just got my Coote Belt Grinder going about a month ago and so far have messed up one blade and had one successful blade come off it. The Coote grinder isn't as versatile as the KMG but is definitely a step up from doing it all by hand. My hats off to you...you do excellent work. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading more of your tutorials.

Ryan...I just wanted to take the time to say thank you again for your post. I have read through the entire post again and it has really opened my eyes to some things that I have now integrated into my process and the improvements are amazing. Great job on a wonderful tutorial thanks again.

Thanks guys, I'm glad ya'll are getting some help out of it. Some of my ways might be backwards, but I supposed thats the beauty of knifemaking no right or wrong.

And I agree with complete180 it bugs me when people post links to other tutorials, I just didn't have the energy to transfer it over to this one lol.

Ryan,
I just wanted to thank you for the tutorial. It allowed me to understand what I was doing wrong. Your method of making the plunge cut it what I was missing. Two thumbs up.
Jon

Incredible tutorial! I especially enjoyed the trade secrets that make the process so much smoother. Thank you

Back