First Try at Leather Carving...

Steven Long

Been teaching myself how to carve and tool leather for the past two days. I think I got the basics on the carving out of the way and have really enjoyed it. I have carved the skull a few times now but this was my first try at the tree. I think it adds a nice touch to a bush knife...

2013Progress002_zps7b15e198.jpg

2013Progress003_zpseee5b6ea.jpg

2013Progress004_zpse541ebff.jpg

2013Progress005_zpsd8d1d487.jpg

2013Progress006_zps5c297d98.jpg

2013Progress007_zps7d2654bc.jpg

2013Progress009_zps69db576c.jpg

OK I get it now, I am reading this and looking at the pic and I am thinking what skull? I had to back my view of what I am seeing to a more distant look, the little marks and what I thought was a lake or something became a skull. The tree is awesome you have came a long way in recent days my friend! How are you at animals? I always found it harder to draw an animal in proportion than anything!

Not bad at all for a first attempt at carving, the lines look nice and smooth and so does the beveling. I like how you rendered the tree,very natural.

Half the battle is smooth cuts with the swivel knife, I try to keep scrap near to "warm up" on before I go into the actual carving. :)

Well done and keep it up!

Steven,
First,
I can't tell you a thing about how to carve leather. But I do apreciate the attractive tree . with some refinement you could do some great nature work.

The skull? well I personally am so sick of the skull invasion on every darn thing around these days! LOL.
Each to his own?

OK I get it now, I am reading this and looking at the pic and I am thinking what skull? I had to back my view of what I am seeing to a more distant look, the little marks and what I thought was a lake or something became a skull. The tree is awesome you have came a long way in recent days my friend! How are you at animals? I always found it harder to draw an animal in proportion than anything!

Yea, I kept sending pictures to the new owner making sure it looked like a skull, especially after staring at it for a while. Think I might stick with nature carvings. Thank you very much for the comment! I haven't tried an animal yet. I only have a few tooling stamps and need to get a few more to be able to try the detailed carvings.

Not bad at all for a first attempt at carving, the lines look nice and smooth and so does the beveling. I like how you rendered the tree,very natural.

Half the battle is smooth cuts with the swivel knife, I try to keep scrap near to "warm up" on before I go into the actual carving. :)

Well done and keep it up!

Thank you, Dwayne! Ahh, the swivel knife. Definitely need more practice with it. I warmed up a lot for the skull by carving a few of them before trying it out on the sheath. The tree was done on a botched sheath I had lying around. I am thinking about trying the tree again when I finish up my personal knife.

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out.

Steven,
First,
I can't tell you a thing about how to carve leather. But I do apreciate the attractive tree . with some refinement you could do some great nature work.

The skull? well I personally am so sick of the skull invasion on every darn thing around these days! LOL.
Each to his own?

Haha! Yea, the skull is definitely everywhere these days.

Thanks for the kind words, Laurence! Practice, practice, practice.

Hey Steven the leather work looks good Bro. but that Redwood knife is killer man.Keep the pics coming

Thank you, Faron! Glad you like the knife. One thing that kills me is having to ship them out when done. I really want to keep this one.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

At first I was looking for the tree. Then I saw the next set of photos and the skull popped into my minds eye. Pretty good for your first attempts at carving. Got to find my first two so you can laugh...

At first I was looking for the tree. Then I saw the next set of photos and the skull popped into my minds eye. Pretty good for your first attempts at carving. Got to find my first two so you can laugh...

Thanks, man! Yea, the skull kind of plays tricks on you. If I do another one, I am going to try it a little different and maybe smaller.

Steve great job. Your really getting the hang of it. I too went nuts on the skull.. LOL KT

Thank you, KT! I am going to Tandy today to get a few more tooling stamps and try my hand at some acorns and oak leaves. Been doing some research and hope this one will come out better.

Here are a few more...

2013Progress004_zps55d2ec2c.jpg

This was the first skull I did. After getting a few more stamps from Tandy yesterday, I practiced a few new things on it...

2013Progress003_zps11c92686.jpg

2013Progress002_zpsed280d63.jpg

Model1wIronwood006_zpsa1fd326c.jpg

Need to get better with the swivel knife and keeping everything more crisp but it has been seriously addicting.

Back