First Sheath

paladin5811

Big Dog...
My first sheath...comments on how to make the next one better will be appreciated. :)

It works great...it's comfortable when i sit and it draws and re inserts perfect.

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

IMG_4831.jpg

Last edited:
I will say thats great for the first time.Really only a few areas need improvment but that comes only with practice, stamping could be a little straighter.Edges could be sanded a bit more and burnish some more.I know , nitpicky but thats how I was taught, it's all in the details.I was also taught when you think your done , give it another 10 minutes of work to make sure.Looking forward to see your future sheaths.You did good.Dave 2thumbs

I will say thats great for the first time.Really only a few areas need improvment but that comes only with practice, stamping could be a little straighter.Edges could be sanded a bit more and burnish some more.I know , nitpicky but thats how I was taught, it's all in the details.I was also taught when you think your done , give it another 10 minutes of work to make sure.Looking forward to see your future sheaths.You did good.Dave 2thumbs

Thanks man !!....i need a new script on my close up specs, that may help alot. :D

The sanding was done on my disc sander...what grit should i be using ?

I'm using the pro oil dye...what do you guys use for a finish coat ?

What do you guys use to burnish a wide area ? i got the plastic wheel but that doesn't work on the wide edges.

Thanks man !!....i need a new script on my close up specs, that may help alot. :D

The sanding was done on my disc sander...what grit should i be using ?

I'm using the pro oil dye...what do you guys use for a finish coat ?

What do you guys use to burnish a wide area ? i got the plastic wheel but that doesn't work on the wide edges.

I hear ya on the specs, for the closeup stuff,I got a set of high powered reading glasses, hell getting old.
It helps tremendously if you have variable speed if not, use your disc and then finish by hand,it doesn't take long on a sheath..I go down to about 400 grit then burnish.For burnishing I go cheapo, I use a piece of deer antler.I have various sizes for getting into corners and such.you could make some out of any hardwood.
I use Fiebings Pro oil dye and finish with Fiebings Leather Sheen.Tan-kote and Bag-kote are also good finishes. Dave:)

Looks great, especially so for your first sheath! I'm a newbie as well, but I've found a Sharpie marker works very well for burnishing the wide edges (just try to avoid the markings on the body of the marker.) I've tried several different things, and for me it's worked about the best so far.

Just thought I'd add that if variable speed is not an option you may want to stick with a 60 or 80 grit for sanding leather. There is still the risk of scorching the leather so go at it in short bursts.

Also be sure to keep your paper clean as a fully "loaded with leather" 80grit gets smooth as a 220 + and will again scortch.

From there hand sand with higher grits then burnish.

-Josh

Very nice job for your first sheath! looks like you have been doing for a while. On the edges of my sheaths I use a 50 grit to even the edges out. Then I dampen the edges with a little water on my fingers and go to a 400 grit belt that is kinda worn. I use these belts only on leather. If you use belts you have used on metal before you will get black streaks on your leather. The edge comes out very smooth, slick and burnished. I use Fiebing and eco-flo's oil dyes on my sheaths, fiebings Edge Coat on the edges, and then when it's all dry I spray it with fiebings leather sheen for an extra coat of protection and shine.

Back