First sheath, need some advice please.

M

Mr. Bad Example

I am ready to try making my first sheath--this is what I want to make:

pocket_sheath.jpg

I have:
Read a bunch of tutorials, including how to hand stitch.

Acquired:
Pre-dyed 7oz. veggie tanned leather
Stitch wheel
Stitch groover
Thread, bees wax and needles
Awl

I think my main question is how to do the stitching in the middle of the sheath--how would you groove it?

I don't have a stitching pony like in the tutorial--can I use my vise (suitably padded)?

Any other advice?

Thanks!
Michael

I would use a chain stitch with the sewing needle in my drill press as shown in the Tim Lively "knife making unplugged" DVD. Then you won't need a vise.

ernie

To answer your questions,
To make the groove in the middle you will need a freehand groover. I have used my guided groover but if your not careful you will mark the leather with the edge of the groover.

I have used my vise before, make sure you pad it well. Right now I am just holding the sheath in my hands. I glue them everywhere I stitch so its not bad holding them.

I also drill my stitch holes with a 1/16'' drill bit running full speed in my drill press.

OK--very helpful--did not know there was a free-hand groover; thanks for the heads-up, Ernie. I do plan to saddle stitch and I have read (several times) the great tut Josh has linked to. Clancy aka Ernie I will see if I can't track down a copy of that DVD, it sounds very informative.

Regards,
Michael

With Tim's approach the sewing needle is pushed thru the leather with the drill press (un plugged of course) when you pull the needle up slightly a loop is formed and you stick a second thread through the loop then you back the needle all the way out and move to the next spot making sure the threads cross each other in the center of the leather. This makes a chain stitch just like a sewing machine.

You can rent about 50 knife making videos from Smartflix.com including the one I mentioned and one on sheath making.

Smartflix has nothing but "how to" videos. Blacksmithing, machine tools anything you can imagine doing.

I went through the Knifemaking university series renting 3 a month last fall and winter.

ernie

ONE THING i would do after you have grooved and then drilled(etc) your stitch hole through the leather, I would dampen the groove area and rerun your spacing wheel down the holes on both sides. It will compact the leather around the holes and finish it out better.

One other thing to remember is you will still need a welt on the edge side and it will have to be skived down near the bottom so as not to bulge too much at the stitchline.Dave:)

One other thing to remember is you will still need a welt on the edge side and it will have to be skived down near the bottom so as not to bulge too much at the stitchline.Dave:)

Thank you for for the advice.

I had planned to have a welt around the entire sheath, and to stitch around the entire perimeter rather than have a small folded section as in the picture.

I've read about skiving but I can't seem to visualize what issue having the welt remain full thickness would cause. I apologize for my ignorance :D

Regards,
Michael

I didn't know you were running a welt around the whole sheath, so skiving won't be needed.That would have been only if you were welting the knife edge. Good luck and have fun. Dave:)

Back