First real knife.

BrandonM

I've made 3 knives total now. This is the least terrible one to date, and also the only one I ever really finished. It started out as a 2" X 3/16" strap of 1095 high carbon steel. and I spent about 10 or so hours turning it into this.

Blade Length - 3.75"
Overall length - 8.125"
Stainless Pins
Nickel Lanyard
Handle scales made from Black canvas I found at Walmart in a scrap bin in the fabric and sewing dept, and an old pair of corduroy pants I ripped the arse out of when lifting a heavy refrigerator.
Hand filed the serrations.
Mustard and vinegar to force a patina on the blade.

I've been carrying it for about a week now so some use has been put on it.

Here is the wonderful workstation it came from. and a few photos of the knife in process. It's okay if you're jealous of my grinding apparatus.

I like it - awesome 3rd! How's that grip angle with that nice fat blade?

You've played with patinas, hand serrations, home made mycarta, and kydex ... you got bit hard :)

I like it - awesome 3rd! How's that grip angle with that nice fat blade?

You've played with patinas, hand serrations, home made mycarta, and kydex ... you got bit hard :)

Thanks Rob. I love a serrated edge for an Every day carry knife. I all to often need to saw on something. I also wanted to do my own scales just to say I made the whole thing myself. I will probably buy them from now on. Kydex I've been working with for a little bit now. I've made about 6 or so pistol IWB carry holsters. I love to create.

The grip angle seems to work for me. I like it. I would grind a bit, then hold it, then grind and hold. I made it to fit me. Same way with the grooves ground into the handle scales. My fingers fall right into place when I grip it.

Last edited:
I don't know squat about the knife, but I Loved the commentary!!
Sarcasm, wit, and self depredation in two posts. I'm hooked. If your knife making catches up with your writing you will be a famous! IMHO of course.
Dozier

Back